All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 12:16 

Hello all, first time post here. I have coached tackle football from grades 1-6 in the past and always found it very useful to track stats and give the helmet stickers as a reward for them. The kids loved them on their helmets and it really helped (especially for the younger ones) to help them understand what they are supposed to be doing in order to earn that reward.

I have now been coaching 7-8th boys basketball for the past few years and they seem to just like having their stats announced and seem to "get it". However, I'm now coaching the 7-8th grade ladies in basketball this year and am looking for an equivalent to the helmet stickers for them during basketball season.

Something tangible that they can see/have in order to help them understand what the positive things are that they are supposed to be doing. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 13:53 

"something tangible that they can see/have in order to help them understand what the positive things are that they are supposed to be doing"

I'm going to say whatever has worked for the 7th/8th grade boys basketball would probably also work for the girls team you are coaching in terms of individual stats. Obviously that depends on what you do with the stats. Some coaches use them to determine starters or playing time.

One thing that worked for me at that age level was tracking a few key stats as a team. It was more along the lines of stats you normally wouldn't track that affected our performance. Could be things like blocking out, getting back on defense, breaking a press, turnovers, etc. We would track blockouts (wanting everyone to block out when a shot went up) and also track defensive rebounds. I'd try to get the kids to see the correlation between blocking out and the increase in defensive rebounds.

I found that those team stats helped us overall in a more practical way than the individual stats.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 14:48 

Thank you! I track pretty much everything and use similar "non-stats" like blocking out and deflections.

I also track "No Free Lunch" fouls, which are fouls that prevent a fast break layup.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 16:57 

Sounds like you have some cool stuff going. If you have someone on your team who can film, reviewing game film once in a while goes over pretty well. It definitely brings light to what is actually going out on the court both positive and things that need work.