All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 08:56 

I was hoping to get other people's opinions regarding my recent coaching experience. This past winter, I helped coach a 5th grade boys travel A team. We struggled all season, winning just 3 games out of 12. Aside from having a relative lack of depth, I also started noticing another problem with our squad, which had little to do with x's and o's. Every time we would make a player substitution, the outbound and inbound players would never high five each other.. they'd just walk on by without any acknowledgement. The same was the case when one of our players was fouled and would go to the line for free throws. I was constantly trying to encourage our players to support each other, explaining to them that high fiving is good for team bonding and camaraderie. Unfortunately, we had a number of selfish-type players who were more concerned with their minutes than their teammates. Moreover, our head coach (I was only the assistant) did not seem to care about stressing the "intangibles."

Am I wrong in wanting to emphasize team building?? I almost feel like high fiving when coming into the game should be a team rule. It all goes to teaching these kids about good sportsmanship and respect for their fellow player.

I would appreciate anyone's input or thoughts.

Thanks,
Rob S.