All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014, 08:27 

I am the assistant coach of my 12 year old son's AAU basketball team. If AAU basketball has 3 levels of talent (A - elite, B - select, C - developmental), I would say our team is probably a B or B- (low-middle end select). Why this in mind, what section of resources from this website would be best for this team -- youth, middle school, high school, or some combination?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014, 13:27 

lonnie.howard wrote:
I am the assistant coach of my 12 year old son's AAU basketball team. What resources from this website would be best for this team -- youth, middle school, high school, or other?
You'll have to poke around and see what you think will fit with your team's current skill set. Since you're playing AAU, I'd tend to go with more middle school type stuff. I don't think it would hurt to pull some ideas from high school oriented drills. I usually go with drills that might be a bit more challenging and modify them. It's always easy to add back pieces of the drills or make it more challenging as the kids catch on. If you're looking for something specific, using the Search feature in the top bar, then choosing Advanced Search is also helpful.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 11:55 

Coach Rob, I've edited my question. See if you would give the same advice. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 14:59 

I would still tend to use the middle school related drills, you can adjust almost any drill to fit your kids skill level. It's going to be a trial and error type deal. I stole (borrowed) drills from all kinds of places and modified them to fit my team.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 22:10 

Coach rob, thanks a lot for your suggestion. I was thinking middle school too, but I wasn't sure.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 06:54 

You can look at any drill and adjust it to fit your needs..... easier or harder. Don't be afraid to look at high school age drills and dumb them down a little bit.

I helped with a 7th grade team a couple of years ago and we used some of the stuff that my boys varsity used. They will adjust and work harder. JMO