All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 10:14 

There is a kid in our rec league (not on my team) that screams, basically shrieks when an opposing player is taking a shot. We practice at the same time as his team and one other team. Three teams in a gym and this kid is almost making everybody stop in their tracks last night as his team scrimmaged themselves.

We play them Wednesday night. Is this type of behavior allowed within the rules? Besides being what I consider to be unsportsmanlike, it's completely annoying. I was just wondering if the rules address this type of thing.

Last time we played this team, we had a boy shooting free throws and one of their players was at the 3 point line behind him, quickly chopping his feet on the court to try to distract him. It didn't work, we made the free throws. But again, is there anything in the rules that addresses this type of stuff?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 10:27 

There is a rule for when a player is shooting free throws...

Rule 9, Section 1, Article 5 deals with disconcerting a free thrower. The problem is that the rule book doesn't give a good definition what disconcerting is. It basically boils down to the officials judgement. Disconcerting, unless very obvious, is usually "talked through" by the officials.

Direct disconcerting for me would be a player talking directly to the shooter; or yelling beyond a normal voice "who's got the shooter" at a crucial time of the shooters release of the ball. Putting arms up or moving the hands and fingers at crucial times could be interpreted as disconcerting too.

I would think that in this case that boy is breaking the rule with chopping his feet because he is trying to disrupt the shooter.

As for screaming when someone is shooting... I don't know if there is a rule for that.... seems to me that his coach should talk to him about how to act on the floor. IF he was defending the shooter and went out to cover him or distract his shot.... and screams/yells... it sure is weird. Seems to me that it would take away a lot of needed energy.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 11:38 

I've found over the years that these types of calls are left up to the discretion of the officials. Since it's a rec league, the officials should be helping reinforce good sportsmanship. I've seen officials tell players to knock it off on both of those scenarios.

When I played teams like this in rec leagues, I just chat with the officials before the game in a brief manner. Let them know your concerns and leave it at that. Use it in the sense that you don't want your kids imitating their players or something like that.

Honestly, their coach shouldn't be allowing this type of behavior.