All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 06:42 

I am new to coaching youth basketball. I have coached peewee ball before but now I am coaching 7th grade girls basketball. This is a whole different world for me. Would any of you have any suggestions for me to get these girls going and how to get to them to stop chit chatting during practice? I try running them, but that only seems to upset them and from that point on, practice is not productive in the least. I feel completely lost and would greatly appreciate any help that anyone could provide.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 07:41 
Site Admin

I'm not sure if you've seen this, but I suggest that you check out this report:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/m ... ayers.html

There is a section in there about motivating girls. I think if you read that report you'll get some really good ideas to grab your players attention, motivate them, and keep them focused.

Let me know if that helps.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 21:31 

Best thing I came up with was just having the "chit chatters" sit on the side until they were ready to play. This was for 3 & 4th grade boys. You don't really have time to mess around with it. When they want to play, they'll focus. Good luck.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 10:27 

How about trying this approach... teach them to talk to each other on the floor.... defensively... pressure, help, cutter etc. Talk, talk talk.... same thing on offense... talking to each other about setting a screen, something like that.... its easier defensively but I think you get the idea.

Keep your drills short and keep the kids coming in and out... not sure how many players you have.... but IF you keep them moving, they will be too busy to be chatting.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 14:21 

You all have great ideas. I like all of them. Thanks for posting.