All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 14:39 

Hi,
I coach 9 years boys at a community level. I started when kids were 6/ 7 and most of them did not know how to play. After 2 years some of them started to show real progress and all kids are playing much better as a team.
The issue is that another team in the same area is complaining about our team having all good players and because this are teams at community level and the rule seems to be not to be too competitive I will have to slip our team at the end of the season, so kids that are just starting to appreciate the game and trust their teammates will have to adapt to the ones that will just start playing.
For me as the coach with no assistance, having to start all over again with a group of kids that I anticipate are at a very different level, will be more than a challenge.
How do you keep the good players motivated and how can you work on their progress when half of the team is a very basic level?
How can you ensure that the new player will enjoy bball since the kids that were practicing for a few years will be a much better and will more than likely hesitate on passing the ball to them? I understand and agreed that is not about winning at this age but kids are competitive for nature and when kids feel they can’t compete they just get discourage and loose the passion/ fun.
Any suggestion will be more than welcome!
Thanks,
Charly[/b][/size]

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 16:28 

Charly -

Sounds like you've done a great job with this group of kids! Kudos!

Are there any other leagues besides this community league? Maybe you could put your current team in a different league that's a bit more competitive and not have to split them up.

If you have to stay in that community league, I would get an assistant who shares your coaching philosophy to help you (maybe a dad or mom willing to help). Most community leagues I know try and have a mixture of better players along with developing players on teams to keep one team from dominating the league.

You can work through this, but like you said, it will be more challenging. Just keep in mind you didn't make this decision, the league did. I would clearly communicate with all the parents regarding the mix of players before the first practice.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 09:18 

Charly -

Congrats for doing a great job with these kids... but welcome to the world of coaching,. Not very many coaches get to keep working with the same people every year. A few years at best and then they move on.

Yes, this will be a challenge for you and the kids... here is a chance for you to develop a few leaders.... the kids you get to keep can help the newer ones.

Its a shame that someone is complaining about YOU having the good players.... they are 6 & 7 when you started... do they think they just showed up as the next Michale Jordan? You worked with them, taught fundamentals and helped them develop a love for the game. Maybe they could take a lesson from you.

Continue to d what you have been doing and develop a love for the game... and make sure that they have FUN.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 09:22 
Site Admin

I agree. Having an assistant there helps so you can split them up based on skill level. (Kids just learning footwork on lay ups go here, kids already good at it go here.)

Also, you can challenge more experienced players when running drills. When it comes to it, everyone is dribbling, passing, shooting, and using their feet. It's just everyone does each skill at a different rate.

Example. When doing stationary cross over... experienced players should challenge themselves by keeping the ball lower, wider, and faster. Even a pro can challenge himself with this drill.

Experienced players might use left hand with eyes up dribbling down the court. Less experienced might be ok looking down at first.

In 1on1 full court, you might have certain players use their left hand only, while others can use either. Or if you have a really good player, make them go 1vs2. Lots of ways to challenge players.

So I think you can often do the same drill for everyone. You just challenge experienced players and and less experienced players go a little slower.