All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2013, 17:57 

I'm 22 years old, never played any type of basketball but I really really am interested in coaching basketball. I have a pretty big basketball IQ. Any tips or ideas will help? And I'm not trying to go in and coach right way, I just wanna learn enough so that I can get the understanding of coaching basketball. Thanks

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2013, 19:36 

gibsonclifford456 wrote:
I'm 22 years old, never played any type of basketball but I really really am interested in coaching basketball. I have a pretty big basketball IQ. Any tips or ideas will help? And I'm not trying to go in and coach right way, I just wanna learn enough so that I can get the understanding of coaching basketball. Thanks
Gibson? Something seems a bit off here. You're asking for advice on how to coach and state above that you've "never played any type of basketball", but you stated in a few other posts on these boards that you had played. See below.

gibsonclifford456 wrote:
I see Chris Paul do this all the time and it is a efficient high percentage shot. I'm just starting to get into this habit but I'm trying to get their and not dribble to much. Probably two dribbles or less but if I take those two dribbles and then stop ill be a sitting duck. Any help and solutions would help, just trying to be more efficient on the offensive end. Thanks!

gibsonclifford456 wrote:
It's just really hard for me to read the situation because I like to pass a lot.

It seems that in earlier posts you gave us the impression you played basketball. Today you're saying you've never played.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2013, 06:06 

With all that being said..... you need to get some experience - maybe start helping an experienced coach before you take a team on your own. There is more to coaching than rolling the ball out and running drills. Dealing with parents, other coaches, refs..... knowing the rules. Having some sort of philosophy that you want to implement.

Spend a few years volunteering with an experienced coach.... then maybe start with your own team.... a rec league, Church league, park district teams etc.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2013, 11:00 

gibson -

Sorry if I came across too harsh in that post, I just wasn't sure if you were messing with us.

Coach Sar has some good practical advice, can't really add much there. I will say it is more challenging to coach a sport if you haven't played it though. Depends on the level you are coaching too.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2013, 11:10 

I agree Rob.... it sounds like you remembered what he had said before.

it all depends on how bad you want it. I didn't play HS or college ball..... I was a 4'11" freshman.... wonder what position I would have played .. C ? LOL

I worked at this for a long time before I was ready to move up the the HS level. (13 years) I was a pretty good defensive coach by that time but I had a lot to learn about offense..... thats what clinics are for, other coaches too..

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2013, 11:55 

My mistake I just wanted to build up my knowledge that's all but I don't care i start coaching at the age 40 as long as I learn the game I love, I'll have a sane mind :)