All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 11:47 
Site Admin

A friend asked me this recently. Does anybody have any input or experience with this? I do not.

"Has anybody conducted or run tryouts for an outside organization? If so, how do you go about setting up the fee structure? I have been asked to conduct 5th, 6th and 7th grade tryouts with about 80 kids for 4 1/2 hours. Afterwards, I will need to divide them up on teams.

What do you charge for an organization that would like a 3 to 4 hour coaching clinic? It will be conducted for about 30 coaches in their organization."

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 07:36 

Joe,

I never did this before, I wouldn't even know where to start. Its hard enough holding tryouts for you own team let alone an entire organization. To be responsible for dividing them into teams is another big thing.

Why not run the tryouts looking at certain skills. Dribbling, passing, shooting etc. Then you have to watch them play a little bit, probably 3 on 3?

Some things that tryouts don't show are - are they coachable, how do they get along with others, are they committed to the game? I've seen some pretty good players that miss a lot of practices..... doesn't do anyone any good IF you are the BEST player and miss a lot of practices. JMO

Wouldn't it be better IF you graded each player out on certain skills along with 3 on 3 games and then let the coaches choose their own players from your "scouting" report?

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 08:07 
Site Admin

Thanks, Coach Sar.

My friend has done plenty of tryouts and has the structure down. He does such a good job with it that he is now having outside organizations asking him to run tryouts for other organizations as well.

He just didn't know what to charge for it.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 09:16 

Thats a lot of responsiblity Joe -

I think I would ask him what the difficulty factor is - 80 kids would be tough if he is doing this himself.

I'm kind of guessing here .... IF the kids are paying for this $5 would be a great price for them.... so $400.00 to $450.00 for the 4 and 1/2 hours seems more than fair. Am I off base here? Low or high? Seems low since he has to run them through the drills and then write a report grading them on the different aspects of the game.

What are you thinking?