All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 15:22 

Whoops! Sorry!! I didn't mean to rile you up! :-)

Have a Merry Chrismas and a Happy New Year!

Mark

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 15:37 

You too Mark..... and I hope you kick their butts, half court trap and all.

That guy should be laying brick too. :-)

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 15:49 

LOL! well he's moved on up to U12 so I have a year to get better prepared!

Mark

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 11:19 

Ok, I admit it, I'm a poor excuse for a coach! :-P

we tried M2M a few times and got smoked, so I took the coward's way out and went zone usually 85% of the time. Tournamant time is soon, and I would like to hit as many of the teams with a good aggressive M2M. Given the fact that my kids are 9-11 yrs what drills would be best to instill that agressiveness and what concepts would be easiest to get across to those of them with a limited attention span?

Not asking for much, am I ? :-) Thanks!

Mark

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 16:48 

You could be a Captain for the Italian Cruise Line LOL :-)

Look at this page :
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/defense/man.html There are a lot of drills here.

I will tell you how we installed our m2m but you have to decide if its going to be on/up the line or pack ... the more aggressive version is ON/UP THE LINE.

1- Guard steer ( we would steer the point guard to the free throw line extended... we didn't care which way because we didn't want to get split )
2- Deny the wing ( we wanted our players UP the line at least 1/3 towards the ball ) looking to deflect or steal passes with the NEAR hand in the passing lane and at the very least, force them outside of their comfort zone from where they want to initiate their offense.
3- IF they made the pass to the wing, we wanted to force them baseline ( the short corner is where we wanted to steer them from the wing )
4- We would dead front the post.
5- ***** HELP LINE DEFENSE.... this is what makes a defense great .... work on ball side / help side defense a lot using a shell drill. ( you should be able to find that on here too )

One of the big keys is NOT allowing any splits... thats why the next defender in line is UP the line... all he should have to do is to OPEN UP a bit - maybe slide a few steps and put his hand in the lane the dribbler wants to go..

Of course there is more to this D than the things I mentioned, but these should give you a good start in playing aggressive m2m defense. This will take you some time to put in, but be patient, it will be well worth the effort. 1-2 & 5 are the most important here. I hope this helps and doesnt confuse the kids

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 16:55 

By the way, the best way of dictating HELP LINE DEFENSE is to get the ball off the center line of the floor.

You will be pressuring the ball, denying one pass away and 2 passes away you are on the help line,.

Your kids are pretty young for this - but this is one way to install pressure defense. You might want to think about the pack line m2m.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 07:53 

[Ahoy! Mate and thanks Coach! ;-)
I am lucky to have all the kids there on any given night, but with six last night we worked on denying the pass from the ballhandler to the receiver, playing the passing lanes and maintaining contact with your offensive man.
Also I tried to stress playing defense on the pass rather than the catch.

We have a game tonight against one of the weaker teams, but turnaround and play Saturday morning against a team that is one of the strongest (we are somewhere in the middle). I told the boys that we are going to M2M the remaining games in order to get ready for tournament time. I hope to maintain a decent score differential Saturday morning but we'll see.

Thanks again!

Mark

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 11:51 

Good luck Mark -

Let me suggest one thing... with the defender denying the next pass... move your player UP the line a little bit towards the ball.... he will be in better help position and he will be able to deny / deflect / and/or make a steal without making contact with his player - thus, NO fouls....

Move him UP the line maybe 2 arms lengths ? You can toy around with the distance but thats where I would start in practice and then adjust from there.

I like your style, going m2m for the rest of the year until tourney time.... Yourr kids WILL be better defenders by then.

STRESS being on the help line away from the ball..... that should help you a lot on Saturday.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 12:39 

OK, thanks!
Here is a score from earlier in the year, the Wizards are who we play tonight (they are 0-9, and the Thunder are who we play Saturday morning.I believe the Thundar may be undefeated. Looking at the scores, it seems they have 2-3 players consistently scoring in the teens

Thunder 56
Wizards 6

Just hope my kids don't get too discouraged if they fall way behind. :-P

Thanks!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 12:55 

There are a couple of ways to approach these games...

1- Dont worry about the score, go out and PLAY HARD, PLAY SMART and HAVE FUN!

2 - Since we know that IF you turned the scoreboard off they would know the score...

- Break each quarter down to 2 minutes mini games.... tell them we are going to play these min games .... then try to win as many of those as possible.... each 2 minute segment you tell your team, OK, its 0-0, lets go out and win this win?

3- You can set some goals for each quarter of those games and see if they can achieve them

Hope this helps a bit.

We were down about 26 in one game, I called a time out, told my team, I don't have any 26 point plays so lets just go out there and get 2-3 at a time, get a couple of stops and see where it takes us.