All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 10:24 

I ALREADY HAVE A 13 UNDER GIRLS TEAM. IN MARCH 19 THE SEASON BEGINS. WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITIES TO PRACTICE 3 DAYS PER WEEK ABOUT 90 MINUTES. DO YOU RECOMMEND TO START BY DOING THE CONDITIONING IN A TRACK FIELD OR IN THE BASKETBALL COURT? WOULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO IN THE TRACK FIELD?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 10:51 

Coach,

IF this is a basketball team do your conditioning with a ball.... make some well thought out practice plans that will help get your kids in shape to play the game. You have 270 minutes a week, use them wisely. I would NOT use the track - they don't need to just run for the sake of running. You need to use the basketball court where they are going to play their games.

Make sure you work on the fundamentals of the game... one coach in here put it very well, IF they cant pass or catch the ball, you cant play the game. So, that is where you should start....... work on m2m fundamentals and teach them how to play the game....... then let them have some fun.

IF you look on the left side here, there is a section BASKETBALL DRILLS.... along with offenses and defenses - so it pretty much has anything you need... IF you cant find it, do a search on the net for what you are looking for.

If you have some specific questions later, fire away, we will be glad to help you.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 14:06 

Coach Sar gave some great advice. Use your time wisely on the floor. You can get plenty of conditioning by making your practices active and organized. You don't have to run a lot of sprints to get in shape. Make your practices harder than the actual games.

I would suggest drills that are competitive which make players play hard in practice. Set up consequences if a team loses. Use your 90 minutes to teach fundamentals and passion for the game.

Spend as much time in the gym as possible. Best of luck

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 07:35 

I agree with both coaches. Keep it on the court using basketballs.
Conditioning will get done with your full court dribbling drills, 3 man weave, 11 man fastbreak, etc.

At that age with girls, spend more time teaching fundamentals and skill development drills than on conditioning.

BTW- Your CAP LOCK Key is stuck.

Good Luck,

Have Fun!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 12:34 

Here is an idea I had today watching my kids speed/agility training. Play "Tag."

Split the team into 2 groups. Group one is out on the court (maybe half court). Group 2 on the baseline. First player in group 2 runs out and tries to tag someone in group 1. Then the next player in group 2 goes (tagged players remain on court). Time how long it takes each group to go thru.

This is not run around and chase tag. Require the tagger to use angles, quickness, and foot work to beat the other player to a spot. They can really work on their defensive footwork. Do this for 5-10 minutes and the kids will be gassed. I'm going to try it this week. Good luck.