All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010, 08:08 

You people are doing the wonderful job by helping new coaches like me. The quality of information given on this website is amazing but i am quite overwhelmed by so much information. I am coaching grade 6-8 beginner girls. I was making practice plans for the season but i am confused how to progress. Will it be possible for you experienced coaches to share your practice plans? my email id is: choudhary_amit_singh@yahoo.com

thanks

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010, 09:26 
Site Admin

Have you seen these practice plans?
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/samplepractice1.html
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/samplepractice2.html

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010, 11:52 

I have seen those lesson plans. I want to see the lesson plans for few months or complete season, because i want to know how the skills & drills progress in each lesson.
thanks

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010, 13:23 

That is a tough order choud ..........

I used to keep a notebook for every team we played along with the practice plans, scouting reports etc. I'm retired now and I might have a set of plans from my last year (which was with girls after 41+ years with boys)

There might be a coach on here that keeps his plans in his computer that could help you.... lets see where this goes.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 08:26 

My very basic format for a practice plan that I have used while coaching girls travel 5th-8th and now AAU is:

-Team Talk- 5 min
-Warmups- 10 min
-Skills and Drills- 20 min
-Structure (Plays)- 20 min
-Funstuff (competitive and conditioning fun drills)- 10 min
-Fullcourt Scrimmage- 15-20 min
-"Tired" Free throws- 10 min
-Team Talk- 2 min

I may have some old practice plans saved on file. I'll email them to you if I find them. Use the above format but structure it to suit your team.

Good Luck Coach!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 08:36 

Note: Defense would be included under structure. We would spend time on defensive drills like The Shell Drill.

Coach A

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2010, 09:46 

thanks for your replies. Still hoping that someone has soft copy of the plans for a season to share.

amit

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2010, 11:28 

That is too lengthy to put on here and I don't have it on my computer....

The only thing I have left (that I can find) is the first week of practice from 1998

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2010, 14:35 

When making a trip from one place to another, you need a road map. Practice plans are no different.

It may help you to first write down the things you want to do for the season. What offenses and defenses you want to play and how much you think you are going to play them. For example if you have 3 offenses, which one you are going to play the most.

Then, break down how long you think it will take to teach and practice each thing. It doesn't have to be exact, if you don't know, guess. Then, decide when you want to have everything in. Not everything has to be in in the beginning of the year. Save some for later in the season.

Then, make a plan, accordingly and remember to leave time for skill development. Good players are better than good plays.

After each practice, make notes of what you did well, and what you didn't get to. If something needs more time, put it in the next practice. After games evaluate what you did well and what you didn't and make adjustments for the next practice.

A practice plan is a living and breathing vehicle that changes and morphs constantly. If you are looking for definitives that work for others that you can copy, there really aren't any unless you have the same kids. You can try someone else's but invariably it will lead you back to making your own.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2010, 14:49 

Good answer Don,

Even though I kept all my plans when I was coaching.... I had to make adjustments because of personnel.

Listen to what Don is telling you... its right on target. If I had 10 years worth of plans they wouldn't fit into what you are doing unless you ran the same stuff I did.

Break down your practices
Offense
Defense
Fundamentals
Shooting

You are working with young players...... work more on fundamentals and let them have some fun... get them ready to play at the next level.