All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 07:40 

Hi All,
Looking for drills that I can include 2 groups(~12) that all the kids can do or be involved in at once. Nothng worse than standing in lines for too long.

During the summer my older son went to a camp and they ran a 3 on 2 drill with groups on players on each side of the court and they would keep going up and down the floor while subing in players from the side - not sure what it was called?

Anyone that has coached or coaching large groups and would be willing to share what you do for practice time/drills would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 07:50 
Site Admin

Depends on the gym. What's the gym like? How many baskets are there and how are they spaced apart (is there overlap for 1/4 court drills at each basket)?

With a large group of 24 players, stations usually work well:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/qa/q3-funkidsdrills.html

It sounds like the drill you are referencing is either the "3 on 2 continuous fast break drill"
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/3on2on1-SteveNash.html

or the "3 on 2, 2 on 1 fast break drill"
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/3on2FullCourtDrill.html

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 08:04 

24 kids in one gym is tough......hopefully you have 6 baskets ? Keep your drills short 5-7 minutes tops keeping everybody moving. The stations are a great idea, we did that in our summer camps and at our practices early in the year. (Varsity basketball)

JeffHaefner wrote:

This is a great drill, we used to call that the BLITZ DRILL...... keeps people moving but even that cant be run for too long. Practice time is a very valuable commodity..... use it wisely. Make a very comprehensive practice plan so you can cover a lot of fundamentals along with teaching offense and defense.

Are you looking to make cuts for a team or is this a camp type setting?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 08:16 

No cuts for this group. But we will be playing tourney games or what I call extended season where we will then run the top 10 kids. I did post previously that we are going to run motion this year and will include our 3 set plays so any advice or practice plans would be awesome.

Thanks all

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 12:15 

How many practices a week will you be able to get and for how long?

All 24 kids at the same time and how many coaches?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 12:59 

We practice all together.
~2 practices a week - 1 -1/2 hour practice time, with 2-3 available baskets. We are in a small school system. There are 2 coaches with 2 other parents help keeping things in line :-). I did this last year and it went fine. I just want to change things up with going to motion offense and running some fun drills while implementing strategies that will help them play smart-fundemental basketball. Not bragging, but I feel that I am pretty organized and have to be or things could get ugly. I have a practice plan for the year that progresses the skills as we go.

I am always looking for ways to improve what I am doing and really appreciate hearing from others that have more experience than I.

We start practice in a month so it's getting crunch time. . .
Thanks again.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 13:24 

With the limited time and space that you have available.... you need to decide what is important to your program and go from there .... here is something I told another coach..

Here is something that goes along with our thoughts regarding PICKING YOUR POISON.

" When you try to defend everything, you defend nothing."
Dick Bennett

In your case... IF you try to do everything, you won't do much well. Break things down offensively and defensively and then put your drills in to fit your needs. You must be doing a great job because I don't think I could get things done the way I would want them. It sounds like you have a yearly plan that is working for you... so why change that? Drills aren't always fun... the 3 on 2 into 2 on 1 is fun, shooting drills are fun, running the offense is fun, and IF you can SELL them on having some PRIDE in their DEFENSE, that can be fun.

O

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 13:31 

I wanted to add this - the one thing that we did at the end of every practice that the kids loved. We called it " Situations "

Give them a score and the time on the clock and let them play it out....
Example:

30 seconds - team A with the ball down 2 - no time outs and both teams are in the bonus, you are 84' away from the basket.

You can change the situation to fit your needs, change it up, the kids love the mini games. I would write down things we didn't do from the previous game and use them as my situations for the next few practices.... saves time ragging at the kids for NOT doing something well and turns it into a learning situation... kids loved it and it corrected a lot of our problems. Kids love to compete.