All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 08:14 

Good morning. Seeking guidance and expertise from anyone who can help with this topic. I am a freshman coach at our high school. Due to challenges with Covid last winter, our current 6th and 7th grade teams have a rather limited season (cancelled games, missed practices, etc.). In an effort to help them continue to build their skills and create opportunities to get more 'reps' in preparation for their upcoming 7th and 8th grade season, I developed a training program that meets twice a week for 90 minutes to train and work on skill work.

While I am intentionally trying to run the training in more of a practice format (not open gym), I am trying to balance the traditional practice format but equally providing more individual skill work in smaller groups.

Help: need ideas for how to maximize the training time so that we are teaching team-oriented needs (running specific offensive sets they will use next year, hitters, defensive philosophy, press, etc.) as well as individual skill work (ball handling, pick and roll, passing, rebounding, etc.).

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 08:46 
Site Admin

Sometimes you have to get creative to make it work for your specific needs...

It comes down to taking pieces of your offense and defense... then turning those into skill building drills. Now you'll likely still want to spend time on skill only to be very efficient. But if part of your practice can consist of 1v0, 2v0, 3v0, 4v0, 1v1, 2v1, 1v1, 2v2, 3v2, 3v3, etc drill that teach "part" of your offense or defense... that will help kill two or three birds with one stone.

Nate Sanderson's Game Based Drills gives good ideas and inspiration on how to create small sided games that develop skills, decision making, and teach parts of your offense.

I like 1v1 half, 3/4 or full court because we can improve ballhandling, conditioning, and our ON BALL defensive concepts. I think it's a really efficient way to improve many skills at once. It can also help with some finishing too.
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/1v1-overlap.html

For team offense, you take a different approach simulating offensive situations. But that's one example of how to practice efficiently in my opinion.

Passing drills and triple threat drills can be 5v0 running your offense.

Defense can be taught while you implement your offense in half court scrimmages.