All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016, 06:35 

Hey all coaches from around the world!

Recently I started to make a year plan for my next basketball coach certification, but I tend to walk into some troubles.

We had to split up the year plan in 3 pieces:

Macro or year goals; here we write all individual skills, mental skills, tactical and social skills that a player has to have on the end of the season. (Or at least know how to use)

Meso or month goals: I placed those as focuses each month. Let's me give an example:

This is for Nov

1.Reading the defense - Should I cross-step or open step
2.Cutting to the basket - If I pass the ball should I cut backdoor or front
3.Spacing from the five out positions standing above the three point line.
4.1 on 1 defense
5.Everyone is responsible of his own man in defense

Now my question lies with micro or weekly planning of each practices. I do not know if you have ever had it that you have very much trouble in either thinking of all those practices ahead of time like I do or come with loads of times the same drills that they previously had.

How do you setup your year plan and training that comes in a few months of time? What do you think about, a best case scenario or something worse and how do you progress your drills through the season?

If this is a bit to vague just tell me, haha.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2016, 14:14 
Site Admin

Generally I start with this...

- My big picture goals. Usually takes up 1/4 of the page or less.

- Make a list of everything we want to get done (taught) by our first game.

- Make a list of all the stuff we want to work on for the season. This is basically a checklist of everything we want to do... including plays, skills players need to get good at, and so on.

- I create a list of my favorite drills that I might want to use for the season. This is meant for reference later on when I plan practices.

- I create my first 1-10 practice plans. Then I know my practice plans go to crap and I change things. So after the first practice or so, I make the plans the morning or night before the practice.

Often times my first practice is a lot of evaluation to figure out what this particular group of players need. Until you actually play some games it's hard to always know. If they are already really good in a certain area there is no need for me to reteach.

Anyway, that's how I do things. Here are more articles about the subject:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/pre-season-tips.html