All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 22:49 

My 2nd and 4th grade teams have only 1 practice before our first game.

Does anyone have suggestions on a practice plan for this first practice?

I know the first practice is usually tough since the kids are a bit apprehensive while adjusting to a new team. Plus it's tough on me as a coach since I'm trying to evaluate my team and still get them ready for their first game.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 10:36 
Site Admin

I can't say I have been in this situation before. That is really tough. After about 20 practices, I still don't feel like we're ready!!

Here are ideas. Don't know if there are really any good ones because you won't be able to get much done regardless.

- If the players don't know each other, put them in a circle. Have them find out who is on each side of them (introduce themselves). One player has a ball. He can pass the ball to any player. That player then says his name, point to the player to the left and says "this is Johnny", points to his right and says this is "Jimmy". Then he passes the ball to another player.

This repeats until someone thinks they know every players name on the team. Then let them go around calling out each name.

I like to do this on the first practice because it helps me to learn names, allows the players to get to know each other, and gets them loosened up a little bit.

This will take about 15 minutes by the time you are done, so you may want to skip this. Ideally you do this before practice in the hall way so you don't waste on court time.

- Beyond that, I'd do some ball handling drills. Then do some passing and cutting drills (they can practice lay ups, passing, and learn the give and go play). Show them a transition offense (spots to run to). Let them run to the spots. Then explain you just want good spacing and movement (ex: pass and cut) on offense.

Then I'd show them basic on ball defense. Play a little 1on1. Then show them a little positioning and that the goal is to keep the ball out of the lane area (no lay ups).

Then scrimmage for a few minutes.

Not sure if you can get all that done but those are first thoughts on what I would do.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 12:17 

Tough situation, good advice from Jeff. One thing I did on the name game is add their favorite food. So, it was, "I'm Johnny and pizza, chicken, tacos etc."

If the league was cool with it and you had access to a gym (or the weather is nice where you are), I'd try to sneak in a non mandatory get together before your first practice. I know rec leagues can get a bit weird about doing things outside the norm, but perhaps an e-mail to see which parents would be interested. In light of only having one practice before the first game, you might find the parents would be hoping for more than that so their child is prepared.

I'd write down the practice plan with times on it for each thing you want to cover just to give yourself a reference point. You'd be surprised how a 5 minute drill can turn into 15 minutes.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 14:40 

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll probably go with a practice schedule like you suggested Jeff.

With it being winter, outdoors is not an option to hold a non-scheduled practice and gym time is a premium at this time of the year. I brought my kids to an open gym one Sunday and there had to have been over 50 kids shooting at 6 baskets...not what I'd call a learning environment.

I'll make best with what we have.

Thanks for all the help and keep up the good work with the site!