All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014, 08:33 

i'm coaching 4th graders. I bought your dvd (and others)
Which drills would be best for them? Some seem a little complicated.

watching your comments. I'm more the type to teach a skill like a jab step and then have them do it. And then have them do it under pressure. where as it seems like you have them do the drills and teach the jab step in context or am i missing something.

are these drills for later in a practice after they have a chance to work on skills under NO pressure?

thanks
Luke

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014, 09:03 
Site Admin

Hi Luke,

Good question. I'm coaching a group of 4th graders too this season. And you're right, some of them are too complicated and probably not the best for that age.

For 1on1 type of ball handling drills, I generally introduce those right away even in 1st grade. I will start out with the basics with no pressure... pound dribbles, baby cross over, dribbling forward, backwards, around cones, etc. Then I let them play 1on1 advancement. They get a point for advancing the ball past a designated line (maybe 20-40 feet away) against a defender.

I still do that with 4th graders and even my high school team:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/1on1-grid-drill.html

For finishing drills, we will do that a little bit. But like you said, first players need to go against no defense. If they can't make a lay up against no pressure, there's no need to add pressure.

Quote:
are these drills for later in a practice after they have a chance to work on skills under NO pressure?

Yes and no. It just depends. Sometimes we'll work on different 1on1 moves (feint, cross over, etc). And then we'll run competitive drills and try to apply those skills. And quite often that is a good way to do things.

Other times we skip the competitive drills or sometimes we skip the NO pressure drills. It all depends on the skill level, confidence, time of year, etc. There's no right or wrong way to do this. With 4th graders, we play some type of competitive dribbling drill in pretty much every practice. In a few years, that might change.

Here's a list of the drills I might use this year with my 4th graders at some point. I'm sure I won't use all of them, but they are on my master drill list for them. I look at this list when planning my practices each day. You'll recognize several from the DVD.

Competitive Passing
Ultimate passing (touch downs)
Keep away
Cont 4on3 or 3on2 no dribble
No dribble 3on3/4on4
Monkey in the Middle
3on3 Trap Passing
2 on 2 Gael passing
Tag Ball

Competitive Dribbling
High Five 1on1
1on1 Back Up Read
Beatem to the Left
1on1 Crowded (keep ball in middle of court, with pull back, stop on dime, break out dribbles, roll over dribbles, starts and stops).
1 on 1 Grids (1 point for stop or advancement)
1on1 in tight areas (no basket)
1 on 2 dribbling
3 on 3 full court
Allen Iverson Chase Drill
Dribble Tag - Place all the players in the predetermined area with a basketball. Designate one player as "it". Players are to avoid being tagged. When tagged by the "it" player the two switch.

Ball Security & Perimeter Moves
14.7s. Players must protect the ball for 4.9 Seconds. Dribble out while closely guarded for 4.9 seconds. Then protect the ball for 4.9 seconds again. Goal is not let the defense touch the ball.
No dribble 1on1
Pick Up and Play- 1 on 1 (crowd the attacker)
5 chair 1on1 (cut to chair and play)

Combo
Chair 1on1 Moves w/ Finish - back up dribble, inside out, hesitate, cross, back, etc. Move chair at different angles.
1on1 escape drills
Full Court 1on1 Attack
Half Court Attack
Continuous 1on1 Competition
Chaser
Speed Dribble & Lay Up Relays
30 Second Guard War
Post 1 on 1 Straight Up
Post 1 on 1 Pick a Side
Post 1 on 1 with 2 Chairs (Bonus Drill)
Contested Power Layups (Bonus Drill)

Decision Making and Offense
3 or 5 in a Line Toss Drill
Tag
5 on 3 + 2
Half Court Attack 2 on 1
3on3,4on4,5on5 Army
Continuous 3 on 2 (3 teams)
3on2, 2on1

I'm not sure if I'm answering your question or helping, so just let me know if I'm missing the target.

Also a side note. I don't mean to pick on the "jab step" but it's one of my pet peeves so I thought I'd mention in case it helps you...

Maybe this is a terminology thing but I don't really like the jab step. I think a "space step" is a good thing that allows to create space and relieve pressure against a defender. I am real careful when showing players a jab step and you could argue I don't even need to show at all. You can beat players with out it (as Don Keblick shows with the Attack & Counter System).

The biggest problem with the jab step is that can destroy your teams offense and ball movement. I don't watch a lot of NBA anymore but I'm trying to think of a good example. Maybe someone like Carmelo or Joe Johnson. They get the ball and almost always go to the jab step series. The ball sticks with them and stops moving! Having players like that on your team makes it tough to have a good team offense.

On the other hand, think of the Spurs and how awesome they move the ball and work together! How often do you see the Spurs players using a jab step? I'm sure they use it, but not very often and it's used in proper context.

I get really skilled players on our high school team that overuse their jab step. They catch, their head goes down, and they start their NBA jab step and footwork moves. If they can't break the habit they don't usually play because they totally ruin the offense for everyone else. Now it can be fine to create your own shot at the end of the quarter. Or in the NBA you have the 24 sec shot clock. But in high school there is not shot clock. And college is 35 seconds which is a ton of time to move the ball and run offense.

Sorry about the jab step rant. You might be teaching it in perfect context. Just wanted to throw that out there in case it helps. :)

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014, 09:12 
Site Admin

Here's what I mean about the Spurs offense. Lots of ball movement, everyone touches, no jab steps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j912sTBaRR0

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 07:10 

thanks Jeff,

that really helps!!! I've been using some of your drills in practice with great success. i really like the pre-practice routine you just posted. I'm definitely going to use it. I usually say, game shots from game spots at game speed but I don't always see it

i'll stay in touch

Luke

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 20:30 

Wow some of these drills look really awesome. Look forward to using some in practice. Glad I found this website!