All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 12:44 

Coach Sar,

I just saw your questions.

What are we going to do address the blowout?
1.) To cut down passing turnovers and see open players- More 3v3 no dribble games, 3v2
2.) Increase confidence in the system, more breakdown drills and playing 3v3 to get more touches.
3.)Make practice as hard as possible defensively 5v4, 5v6., Defensive Challenge games where you can only score points on defense, full court 1v1 to improve on the ball D, rebounding drills (2v2, sumo drill, )

For toughness. More drills like the Anything Goes drill, where it promotes physical play.

Thanks for making me think.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 13:08 

Here is a drill I gave Jeff & Joe some time back... called the Man Maker Drill... check it out, let me know what you think and how the kids react to it.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/playcreator/view.asp?id=167&type=drill

By the way, I meant to say, you ARE on the right track.

How about a 4 on 4 game, everybody has to score before anyone can score the 5th.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 13:58 

Thank you Coach Sar!! We are gonna make some men tonight! This drill is the truth. How long would you run this 10 minutes including directions?

Also, I don't understand what you mean by playing 4 on 4 and everyone has to score before anyone can score the 5th. Basically, one team stays on offense the whole time until everyone scores and then anyone can score on the 5th?? Or is the drill done in full court scrimmage format? Meaning, both teams are playing until everyone scores plus the extra basket.

Thanks so much.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 15:34 

Depending on how many kids you have... 10 minutes should get it done..... this is a drill that makes MEN both ways;;;;;; keep the O from crossing half court and the O making the D look bad or at the very least.... NEVER turn the ball over. This might take a few times to get it going correctly.

Let me explain that again.... 4 on 4 game... the game is to 5....and every player must score before anyone can hit the game winner. This will bring out the leaders on your squad too. Full court scrimmage. The game could end up 5-0 5-4, 5-3 etc. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 16:03 

Got it! Thanks. We will be doing these two drills tonight.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 17:06 

Leme know how it goes.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014, 14:01 

Here is a shooting drill that I got from a local varsity high school coach - their team recently won CIF and did fairly well in the state tournament.

Depending on the age of your team, you can modify accordingly.

His original drill is for a varsity boys team - split the kids up into groups of 3 and place each at a basket (he has the luxury of having 6 hoops to use for practice, when I modified this for my 2nd and 3rd graders, I had two hoops). 5 spots on the floor - all 3 pointers - you have each corner, each wing and top of the key, just like the 3 point shooting contests. Each group of 3 has one shooter and two rebounders - on go, shooter begins with a 2 minute clock - he must make 2 shots in a row from a spot before moving to the next spot - after he has made two in a row from all 5 spots, he continues to shoot, each make worth one point - after the two minutes is up, shooter comes in to rebound, one of the rebounders steps out as shooter and gets 2 minutes on the clock. In just over 6 minutes of practice time, each kid could have taken just under 100 shots.

For my youth team, I modified this to have only 3 spots - each block and about 6 feet out head on - kids only had to make 1 shot from each spot before getting points - I'd have to send groups of 4 to each basket, but in 10 minutes, each kid may have taken 35-40 shots (they shoot slower than high schoolers).

As I said, adjust the drill as needed for your teams age/skill level. Track scores - this particular high school team has been running the drill for years and has historical records of how each kid does over the course of their career and how they stack up all time.

A real good drill to get a high volume of shooting practice in a short amount of practice time.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014, 15:20 

Coach Sar
I thought my last post went online as I wrote on Friday. The Man Maker drill was a huge success at practice. The boys loved it and I will do this every practice. We had lots of turnovers though. But I was amazed how quickly they caught on to getting open, cutting and replacing, etc. Is it a way to make the drill winners or losers to raise the stakes? I was thinking about splitting the teams into groups of 3s. And giving points for D keeping the O in the back court for 10 or more seconds and deflections/ steals. And the O for scoring and getting it across 1/2 court.

The 4v4 drill you gave me was fun as well. I had a great teaching moment. a player had already scored and did not cut to the basket bc of this. I stopped play to tell him that his movement can create for others to score.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014, 17:46 

Coach -

You can adjust any drill to fit your needs.... IF you see something that you can add to make a drill better, go for it. Kids love to compete. This is a tough drill and it was the first time you used it, you WILL have some turnovers.... we did also. Give the D some credit.

We were happy to get the ball over half court... I hated TOs from presses..... this pretty much stopped that.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2014, 10:28 

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I will be incorporating that manmaker drill into my practice Wednesday night.

While I don't care for allowing presses in youth leagues, I have a team in a spring league that allows full court press in the 2nd and 4th quarters (as long as your team is not up by 11 or more). My team is on the younger spectrum of the range - it's a 3rd-4th grade division, my team is all 3rd graders with one 2nd grader, and the league most of us came from only allowed a full court press in the last 4 minutes of a game, and very few teams ever employed it, so we have minimal experience facing full court pressure.

I'm already concocting ideas in my head of ways to add some extra competitiveness to it once we get the drill down, something like -
Point to offense if they get across half court under 10 seconds
2 points if they end up scoring
2 points to defense for a turnover or keeping offense in backcourt for 10 seconds
1 point to defense for a stop in frontcourt

I'll normally have 9 kids at practice, so with 3 teams of 3, I'd have each team get a set number of turns on offense and defense against each other team, total the scores for the drill and provide a reward accordingly (or dole out pushups/laps to the losing teams)