All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 10:45 

What do you do against a team that traps you every time you get a rebound? They send two to trap right away and they practice this so they are very good at it. They find my PG and trap usually my post, and my post players tense up.They hurt us late in the game last season and we lost by 3 points.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 11:46 

How old are the kids you are working with?

I think I would tell my rebounder to either chin and pivot and find the outlet... ( you might think of your 2 guard as your outlet vs this team?) OR.... rip the ball down and step through immediately and power out, then find an outlet.

I remember one team that tipped the ball back to the free throw line and started their break from there.

I sure hope this isn't a youth team.....

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 12:47 
Site Admin

I guess knowing the age level would help. This might sound strange, but if at all possible my first suggestion is to work on ballhandling with all your players so it's not an issue.

I don't know if you fell into this trap but quite a few coaches teach post players certain skills and teach perimeter players different skills. I believe they all should learn the same skills.

Look at Kevin Garnett, Dirk Novitski, Kevin Durant. These big guys are great because they have guard skills. I think big guys need to be able to handle the ball and little guys need to be able to post up. Don Kelbick taught me how to teach all players the same footwork and skills so they work the same in the post and the perimeter. Works great.

The only true solution is to have a bunch of players that can handle the ball (ball security drills). In the off season, let the post players handle the ball and get more comfortable with their decision making. Let them run the point.

You can also teach players to run banana cuts to come back and get the ball. Along the same lines, when you get trapped, just run your press breaker. If players space out (always have a player behind the ball, etc) and run a good press breaker, it shouldn't be an issue. What do you do when you go against a team with really good half or full court trapping defense? Can you just do the same thing? Just run your press breaker every time you get a rebound against this team.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 17:29 

Jeff,

The only reason I asked about the age was that I was hoping that these weren't young kids.... its hard enough teaching youth basketball without someone trapping all over the court.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 20:11 

I would hope the players are 12 and older; however, all players need to develop the rebound and dribble or what I sometimes call the rebound and go technique.

Grab and the rebound and take off dribbling down the court. I know this doesn't always work with players who are inexperience or lack dribbling confidence, but it's stil something to work on during practice.

Get Your FREE SPECIAL REPORT: Top Priorities For A New Youth Basketball Coach
http://www.bestyouthhoops.com/blog