All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 23:05 

I coach a team of 8 girls (2=5th grade; 3 = 4th grade; 3=3rd grade). I devote the bulk of my practices to the fundamentals, especially since the 3rd and 4th graders are all brand-new to the game and the 5th graders don't have a lot of experience. We are a team that plays in a league of small schools and usually play teams comprised mostly of 5th and 6th graders (who are often taller, bigger, and more experienced). Unfortunately, the league rules allow for pressing in the 1st quarter and the 4th quarter. Our last two opponents have used that rule to their advantage; tonight's opponent was the worst: using a full court man-to-man press for the whole first quarter. (They ended up in double-digits that quarter and ended up winning the game 28-0--and that's with the last two 5-minute quarters being played with a running time-clock since the score was so lopsided.)
My biggest frustration is what this is doing to my girls and their confidence out on the court. Starting the game facing that type of pressure just shakes them completely for the rest of the game. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to try to break the press when the girls have enough trouble passing cleanly, dribbling, etc? I keep encouraging them, but I see this taking such a toll on them--they play so confidently and comfortably in practice, and then they look so nervous/scared/uncomfortable out on the court. They're such a neat bunch of girls--I would hate to see them give up on the sport because of something like this.
Thanks for listening ...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 08:05 
Site Admin

Couple suggestions...

- If possible, find a different league that has age appropriate rules.

- You have to work on ballhandling skills, without those skills they'll always struggle.

- Check out these press break resources. Some of the tips might help.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/press-breaker.html

- Set small goals based on getting better. That will provide motivation while the kids are developing and getting beat on the score board.

- Read this inspiring article. It will inspire you to stick to your guns and give you ideas to motivate players.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/youthdefensestory.html

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 13:06 

Good stuff Jeff and the article reminds me of my last 3 years of working with middle school kids.... I knew I was leaving and we started a 6th grade team for the first year... only taught m2m D and simple pass and cut offense... the following year it was still nothing but m2m D and a more structured offense... not to much, I wanted them to be able to think the game..... in the 8th grade year we also won the championship playing mostly m2m and a little zone when I had to play my 2 bigs at the same time ( they were very slow but did understand positioning)

Its a shame that you have to play in a league where they don't care about the kids learning the game - I hope you can convince them that you are doing this for their benefit and that it will pay off in the long run.

Whenever I read something like this from youth coaches I encourage them to talk to whoever is running those leagues and invite them to come talk to us about youth basketball and what is best for young kids playing this GAME..... It's supposed to be FUN..... Ws & Ls mean nothing at this age except to the coaches trying to be the next Bobby Knight.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 19:50 

Coach: Man, I feel your pain all the way to Hong Kong, I have been there and its not fun. The rules are in and its now up to the coaches to see whats happening and try to change them. Many times in coaching youth basketball, I have been in games where I have had the studs and in games where I have been out studded. It gets glaringly obvious within the first few minutes or seconds that you are either going to dominate, be dominated or it will be a close contest. A coach that is in the power position needs to recognize this and pull back. Those that don't, especially at your level, need to either get out of the game or go coach at a level where it does not matter. To hear a team getting shut out of the scoring is truly sad. Coach, all I can say is don't give up, continue with the fundamentals, you seem like a decent and caring man that really enjoys the kids. Coaches like you are needed at this level. Coaches like the one you just faced, just aren't necessary. Coach Mac

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011, 08:29 

Mac,

I always say that coaches at that level that do things like that should get out of the business and go lay brick or something..... they are hurting those young kids and their development.

I only wish that they would come into this site so we could "talk" to them. :-)

You have such a way with words haha

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 21:36 

Thanks, Coaches, for your responses. I appreciate the various suggestions and thoughts. I plan to talk about the "pressing rule" with our school's athletic director. I'm not sure if there is much he can do about it (this is his first year at our school, so he wasn't here when the league set up the rule), but I'll definitely give it a try. In the meantime, I continue to work on the fundamentals (using lots of the great drills I've found on this site).

At practice tonight I had a chance to talk with the girls about the last game. Most of them admitted to being scared out on the court--one because she didn't want to get hurt (she took a charge during that game and got an elbow in the mouth; while icing her mouth on the bench, she pulled the baby tooth that had gotten almost completely knocked out. At least it had been loose before she got hit). One of my 4th graders admitted that she sometimes didn't want to get the ball because they were pressuring so bad. When I asked if anyone else felt that way, all my 3rd-4th graders raised their hands. I reassured them that I completely understood and simply wanted to help them. (I also told them about my high school experience of taking a charge from a girl quite a bit larger/heavier than me!) I reassured them that we would keep working on things in practice that would help them become better now, but also in the future. And I definitely had a few extra "fun" activities as part of the practice! :)

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 07:47 

I'm livid right now reading this!! You have to be kidding!!

Your team, mostly 3rd and 4th grade girls, are playing against 5th and 6th grade teams?? That's wrong right there!!

Then you are telling me that these 5th and 6th grade girls, with a couple years of basketball experience, are allowed to press your team of 3rd and 4th graders, who are just learning the basics of the game of basketball???

I would actually complain to the governing board for your travel club. This is so wrong.

Stay upbeat with your kids. Stress the fundamentals of the game. Keep it fun. I know that sounds impossible.....but hang in there!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 07:57 

Coach A -

I know the feeling... it burns me up to see stuff like this! Thats why I always "suggest" that those people come in and talk to us... so we can explain the rights and wrongs of working with VERY YOUNG kids.

They don't have a clue.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 12:25 

Sounds to me like a very small town. They probably don't have a lot of girls interested to make up a 5/6th grade team and a 3/4th grade team. Putting them up agains 5/6th graders is certaily a problem. Allowing the press is a problem. Time to do some recruiting to get more older girls interested.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 23:36 

It's actually a small school in a league of small schools. This year our only 6th grade girl does not play basketball. Both our 5th grade girls are on the team. The 3rd-4th graders were "brought up" so that we would have enough to field a team. That's the reason for the age/size/experience discrepancy when we play other schools.

I did want to share some good news from our most recent game. At the start of the game, it became quite clear the other team would be able to dominate--they just had too much of a height advantage. When their coaches saw that, they called a time-out and employed a new strategy. They put in their shorter, younger players. The taller, more-experienced players worked to get the ball to their younger players. The coaches also had their team work on a lot of passing. And not once did we see the press. :) We never scored (just couldn't get the shots to fall), but I don't think my girls even looked at the score--they were too busy having fun and playing hard. They were especially working hard at defense--and were finally succeeding at stealing a few balls, tying up a ball for a jump-ball, going for loose balls, and working at rebounding. (We had spent a lot of time in practice this week working on the idea of going for the ball and not being afraid to foul. We also added our "mosquito strategy"--be like a mosquito and pester the other team with good man-to-man defense. And I admit, I "bribed" them with a treat if any of the team got a foul. They were so excited when one of them got a foul--and enjoyed their treat afterward!) I was thrilled for my players--and was also sure to thank the other coaches for their great sportsmanship (which allowed a lot of girls--on both teams-- to have a lot of fun and do a lot of learning!)