All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 22:19 

Any suggestions for getting kids pumped up before a game? We always seem to start out slow and it takes them a good 5 minutes before they really engage.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 23:37 

I have gone through several different warm up drills to find ones that get my guys going. They are a little older than yours (grade 9-10) but principles are the same. They need to properly warm up every facet of play from dribble, pass, pivot, post work,layups and shots.

I have 3 players on each key line/baseline (post moves) two on each wing (passer). Remaining players are at half court each with a ball dribbling from side to side easy. The players at baseline pass out to respective wing then assume a post position. They then receive a pass, triple threat and make a post move or turn around jumper then cycle through passer. Once each side (post) have completed 3 shots/layups, all three groups switch (left side to right - right to dribble half court, and dribblers to left side post)

Regardless of warm up drills, there are hundreds, the goal should be get them focused and driving hard. Between the pregame speech, I tell them that for every made hard drive layup in warm up the team gets one less set of lines next practice. "I still find a way to get their cardio done with lines or other drills" and they see this as a positive push. For other important games (finals, championships, I pull out other tricks snacks (healthy-gatorades fresh oranges) or other prizes.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 07:48 

All good advice as to making sure they have a good warm - up, get a sweat going.

IF I thought my team was in la - la land, we would start out pressing just to get their competitive juices flowing. I'm not sure you can press at that age and that's a good thing... but you sure can step up the defensive intensity. Pick them up early... maybe just over half court and start putting pressure on there.

Some coaches are into scoring a lot of points but I was more defensive minded - our goal was to hold the other team below 45 points. I felt that if we could do that we would have an excellent chance of winning. (Boy's high school varsity) We weren't blessed with a lot of height so we weren't going to win the rebound battle most of the time.... but we could handle the ball well - read defenses - pass well and we shot well...... and we DID PLAY GOOD DEFENSE.

IF you go out and play some great D from the start.. the rest will take care of itself.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 08:50 

I think the most important thing is to know what motivates your players. I have tried things that worked with other teams and didn't get the same response. So the first thing is to find what gets their fire burning.

I would go competitive from the beginning and do that in practice as well. So it becomes habit to compete as soon as they step on the floor.

Another thing to try is set a goal to accomplish something within the first 2 to 3 minutes of the first quarter. They way they already have a focus going into the game.

http://www.spartanpt.com/blog

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 14:22 

I think everything the coaches have mentioned are great ideas. I would suggest using your warm-ups as practice time. Make sure your warm-up drills simulate your strategy as a team. It may be post passing, 3 PT. shooting, or defensive work.
I realize today's kids are not always the most motivated but if kids can't get ready to play a competitive game of basketball they may not be cut out for your team, especially if it is at the high school level. If it is at a lower level then you will need to teach your kids how to prepare for a game.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 14:34 

I am in full agreement with nhayden!!

http://www.spartanpt.com/blog

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 17:28 

Appreciate the input, good ideas. Pressing is allowed, so some type of increased defensive pressure is a viable option at the beginning of the game. Using incentives is a definite option, especially when we're playing our final game of the season or tourney (which our final game is this Fri w/ tourney next few weeks). Like the idea of having a goal for the first 2-3 min to get them focused.

Regarding warm-ups, the challenge we run into is games are usually back to back, so you get 2-3 minutes at best before your game starts. The trick is finding something that gets them moving and in that competitive mode with only a few minutes time span.

These guys can bring it from a competitive level, we're seeded #3 (out of 11 teams) going into the tourney. It's that first few minutes where I need them focused and bringing the intensity.

Regarding what gets them fired up, it's getting some small reward after the game (e.g. something out of candy machine, ice cream coupon, etc.). A lot of times we reward a combination of assists, rebounds, passes, hustles, etc., depending upon what we're emphasizing, however, that's usually for an entire game. Maybe I chop up the incentives for each 5 minutes of the game? First 5 minutes if the kids accomplish X they receive Y, second 5 minutes and so on. That way it allows me to customize the incentive based on what's happening on the court and keep the intensity level up instead of the kids thinking they have the entire game to accomplish the goals.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 17:43 

Good thoughts Rob,

Coming out pressing worked for us when I thought we were out of it... we ran two defenses.... m2m on/up the line and a 1-3-1 match up zone.... and we started the game in the match up most of the time.. so you can see that we were always ready at tip off time.

Coming out of half time was a problem many times... I always reminded them that its very important to come out strong - the first 3-4 minutes will set the tone for the rest of the game... (just like starting the game)

Good luck, bribery always works LOL

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 21:57 

UPDATE: We played our final game of the season tonight, tourney follows in a few weeks. Had some extra time before the game tonight so we scrimmaged against ourselves as the warm-up which worked well.

I used next week's practice as the incentive tonight. Asked the kids if they wanted to run drills or scrimmage most of the practice. Obviously scrimmage was the answer, so I told them they had to prove they'd been listening the past 13 games. They needed to take shots when they had them, drive when they could drive and move the ball. Solid defense, no ball hogs, play like team. Also requested things each 5 minutes (e.g. so many defensive denies, so many points scored, etc).

We won against the 2nd place team and had the better record, so technically we ended up 2nd overall this season even though we're seeded 3rd in the tourney. Thanks for all the help these past two seasons! Much appreciated.