All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 23:04 

Play a team this week that has a unique defense. They have two kids play down low in a zone, one of the kids is 5'8" and the other one is at least 5' 6". The other 3 play a loose man to man and trap constantly. If you do get someone open in the paint, the two big guys are on it right away. Shooting over them is impossible, pump fakes work sometimes though. Seems the only way to score on them is move the ball quickly and look for a shot around the free throw line.

Rebounding seems to be virtually impossible against the twin towers. I usually have the kids work it around the parameter looking for a cut or drive to the basket. Maybe I have them take more shots from the outside this game?

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 12:46 

If they play their two BIGS low and pressure and trap with the other 3 I would do something like a 2 - 1 - 2 .... move the ball quickly - Reverse the ball from guard to guard until you can get it into the middle and then look low - on both sides - if one of the bigs come up - pass to that side, you should have some good looks from that.
If they don't - you should get a good look from the free throw line. You are going to have to knock down a couple of shots to get them out of that.

What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 14:28 

Coach Sar gave some great advice. I would also suggest considering 1-3-1 and keep someone behind the bigs. If you can keep someone in the middle but also below the bigs they will have to decide where to play. I would space them out as much as possible and pass and cut and try to find someone in the middle and either look short corner or swing the ball opposite to the second side of the floor. Just stress ball movement and try to get shots after the ball has been reversed.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 05:56 

Coach Sar correct me if am wrong but i believe every zone defense ends upto to a 2-3 zone if the ball is moved into the middle.so my advice is that you keep a guy working the baseline behind the bigs..probably your best shooter and passer and then let a guy occupy the free throw line so that depending on whichever side the ball finds the baseline guy,the middle guy fills the low post ballside and someone whos great with the mid range shot filling up the vaccant area that was left bt the now low post guy.
Coach Gad Uganda
nhayden wrote:
Coach Sar gave some great advice. I would also suggest considering 1-3-1 and keep someone behind the bigs. If you can keep someone in the middle but also below the bigs they will have to decide where to play. I would space them out as much as possible and pass and cut and try to find someone in the middle and either look short corner or swing the ball opposite to the second side of the floor. Just stress ball movement and try to get shots after the ball has been reversed.