All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 10:10 

Our youth program has been doing really well and growing significantly. This is the first time in many, many years that we've had enough players to make two 5th grade teams. I worked to make the teams as even as possible. The two teams practice together but will play their three tournaments as separate teams. I have had a parent complain that she thinks that the teams should be "shuffled" or remixed for each tournament. My philosophy was that the kids on each team would benefit from playing with the same kids to learn their style of play. I was wondering if there is any research or experience thoughts on whether the best approach is to split different teams and keep the same 8 kids playing together for all games, or if there truly is more of a benefit to having them play with different kids at every tournament.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 15:54 
Site Admin

I think keeping the team the same is slight better. Benefits include getting used to each other, feeling part of a team, being comfortable with your teammates, develop a bond, trust, etc. Next year, you can move players around and they can get to know new teammates.

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 16:54 

Thank you. Your response mirrored my thoughts as well