All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2017, 20:33 

Watched a local tournament game today, 5th grade boys. Local AAU club beats a Municipal travel team 59-4. Took the press off at 15 point lead and put on a half court trap. Had the losing team's point guard crying on the bench.

If the kids did this on their own, we would scold them. To see adults doing this by way of coaching angers me in a way that is hard to describe.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017, 06:13 
Site Admin

I know that sucks. I have been in similar position. Didn't lose that bad but did lose by over 40 to a clearly superior team. In 4th grade a club team that is supposedly all about long term development pressed full court all 94 feet. As soon as up by 20 went to half court zone trap. When the lead dropped to 19 the kids automatically went back to full court press. When I took a timeout to work on beating 2-3 half court zone traps (down by 35), the coach switch to a 1-3-1 zone after my timeout. They won by over 40 points with clearly bigger, stronger, and more athletic kids. In 4th grade!

They put starters back in with 4 minutes left.

We play man to man the whole game teaching fundamentals. They never ran man to man... only tactical schemes to drive up the score so they can brag about how great their club is.

I bite my tongue. Made a mental note of how this program is run. Reiterated our long term development philosophy to the parents and why it's the right way to do things. Then I moved on. Nothing you can do other than handle the situation with class and integrity.

The sad part is many well intentioned parents think they are awesome club because of the scores. That's how the evaluate a club... wins, losses, and scores. They don't know any better.

I always try to keep scores close as I can and challenge our players to develop. When we clearly have a team out matched, I don't play our strong players as much. We never press a team unless I know they have good ballhandlers and can deal with it. When use rules and restrictions once we get up 20 points. Things like 5 pass minimum before you shoot. Everyone must touch ball before you shoot. No dribbling allowed except for the PG initiating the offense. Defense can't go past the volleyball lines. Etc. This challenges our players to get better and shows respect to the other teach/coach.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 17:09 

Something seems out of sync there. Either the 59 team should be playing up or the 4 team is in the wrong league. Still, not cool to see those blowouts. Obviously, the 59 team should have chilled on ALL presses after the 15 point lead.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 20:21 

The other three teams in the division all had good games. The AAU club was just there to pick up the hardware. Not sure what you are proving by beating a bunch of local kids by thirty, but hey, that's youth basketball!