All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 19:21 

5th/6th grade rec league - we play against a team that has a kid who is at least 5'8", our tallest kid is 5' 1". We played them our first game and they kept him in almost the entire game. They play a 4 out 1 in on offense with that kid as their 1. The 4 know to spread out along with being away from the basket near the 3 pt line. He basically follows the ball along the paint and 90% of the time they pass to him, he makes a move and either makes the shot or gets his rebound with a follow-up shot. Talented player, prob should be in a more competitive league.

We play man to man, but I'm thinking of switching to zone for this one game coming up. Since they use him 90% of the time, I'm thinking of double teaming him. I'm concerned if we play man to man, he'll dominate against our kids and the score will be a blow-out. Also looking at trying to get him to commit fouls with pump fakes and going right up after that.

Trying to think of ways to take him out of the game since they use him so much. Any thoughts?

-CRob

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 21:45 

IF you want to stick with your m2m D you can try and front the kid ... but you will need to put a lot of pressure on the ball so they cant get a good look at a lob to him. Then you have to rotate some one over behind him.

I had an 8th grade team many years ago.. they had a 6'4 kid.. we were small... we fronted him and I dropped my SMALLEST kid behind him... he got the ball, turned and ran this kid over 3 times and we fouled him out.

We were playing a 2-3 zone against him that game. Those are my thoughts.

Ken

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 16:02 

We have a similar situation on our 5th grade boys’ team. We play pressure man to man defense and front any post players. You have to pressure the ball for this to work. Without on the ball pressure, skilled players will find a way to get the ball into the post. You also need to make sure your players understand off the ball defense and help for the man fronting the post. Good luck!

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 08:49 

I would agree with the other coaches. If you front you must have good help side. You can help from players on the weak side or help off a player who is not a scoring threat.
It was said earlier, the key to the game must be your ball pressure. Keep ballhandlers at diffficult angles and don't let them reverse the ball.