All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 19:30 

What is your opinion regarding coaches being on the court with first time/young players (7 year old) in more of a teaching and reinforcing?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 22:22 

I'm assuming you're talking about coaches on the court during a game? It usually depends upon the league, we were allowed on the court during pre-k and k. They combined 1st/2nd in our Y league and we weren't allowed on the court. I believe 7 yr olds are around 2nd grade, correct?

-If it's a rec type situation with a few teams playing each other and no refs, I'd have no problem with coaches on the floor.

-If there's a ref (or two) on the court, I'd probably say no on having the coaches on the court. The ref(s) should help while on the court. The concern I would have is too many adults on the court with kids can get kind of crowded.

If you were playing 3 v 3, I'd say coaches off to the side on the court would be ok.

In the end, we're talking 2nd grade first time players, so whatever helps them get better and have more fun without creating a safety hazard is ok in my book.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 22:36 

Thanks!

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2013, 05:18 
Site Admin

I coach on the court myself, so I obviously agree with the concept. Like Rob said, "do whatever helps them get better and have more fun without creating a safety hazard".

For our youth team, I schedule all our own games and decide on the rules. So we play almost all 3on3 and I allow coaches to stop play at any time. It's just a quick stop to get kids in the right place, teach, let them know about traveling, etc. We obviously don't stop everything to keep the game moving and have fun. But it's a great way to teach and I think parents appreciate the kids learning how to do things the right way instead of a bunch of kids running around having no clue.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2013, 08:00 

I agree with Jeff and Rob -

Whatever you can do to help TEACH the kids how to play and make sure that they have FUN is great. It certainly isn't about winnimg at that age.

3 on 3 is the best way to teach young kids the game.... and if the coaches cant be on the floor at least let them roam the sidelines do they can help the kids. JMO