All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 09:45 

An odd number of teams always creates chaos in organizing a basketball schedule, which we always seem to get. We have typically run a "double-header" game to ensure every team gets to play that week (1st-4th grade teams). Our league goal is to establish fundamentals, skills, fun and a love of the game; perhaps a double-header scenario is counter-intuitive? Does anyone have any data or thoughts on these younger girls having a bye week versus playing a double header?

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 09:48 

This is a pretty young age to be playing double headers..... I bet if you asked the kids they would be in favor of it because the games are fun. On the other side of the coin.... you should have practices vs games like 2 to 1.

Are these games back to back or is there some down time for the kids??

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 09:56 

Great input Coach. And yes, the kids typically like to play more although I get the feeling games at this age are more for parents than the kids. We run one skills practice per week where we teach nothing but fundamentals, then we have one team practice where we encourage coaches to work more one-no-one developing fundamentals further (we discourage plays where we can). Our games have been 3-3 at 1/2 level, move to 4-4 at 3/4 level and we don't typically play 5-5 until they get to about 5th and 6th grade, where they get one skills practice and two team practices. I posed this question because even our 5/6 teams don't play double-headers unless they get to an AAU or other competitive league level.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 12:15 

Coach,

It seems like you have a good handle on how to bring kids along.... 3/3 - 4/4 and then 5/5. You are teaching them skills and then team stuff too..... I like what you are doing..... too bad other youth leagues don't see it your way too.

Good luck and keep on working with these kids the way you are right now. Make sure they are having fun while they learn the game.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 11:11 

FWIW, we do double headers in our rec league when we have an odd number of teams. We had a long discussion about it this year, and decided to do it in the 5th/6th boys division when we ended up with an odd number of teams. They play back to back, and it's worked out great. Lots of fun. The boys look forward to it, and are excited when their team gets to be the double header team that week. No issues whatsoever about them getting tired - kids at that age seem to have infinite energy!