All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 10:48 

I have a question. When is it or what age is it OK to play kids up. Or should we be teaching at skill levels regardless of age.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 13:32 

Tough call, I think that depends on the kid. What age are you thinking about? Tell us a little bit about the player, then we would be able to give you better advice.

I've seen Freshman play varsity basketball and baseballa and do very well. IF a kid is physically mature enough to play one level up at the youth level and handle it emotionally, I don't see a problem... but I wouldn't go more than one level.
JMO

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 20:11 

The child in question is a 3rd grade girl. Right now she has the size and strength and skills of a 5th grader. When she plays with the third grade she dominates. I talked with the 4th grade coach and agreed to play her up but its been 2 Tournaments and she has been very timid and more of a spectater during the games. what do you think? I Know she is very young but i am still worried if she is not pushed she will just take the easy route

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 21:08 

Like I said, this is a tough call -

But from what you are describing, she has all the skills and the size, but she isn't ready for it psychology.

It sounds like SHE doesn't think that she is ready.... and thats the important part of this. Have you asked her where she wants to play? She is in 3rd grade, you should want this to be easy for her.... I know that you want the best for your daughter and thats great, you should. But, I would worry about pushing her to hard and turning her off of the game OR worse yet, losing her confidence. JMO

Why don't you sit down with her over a pizza or ice cream of something and talk hoops, about HER goals, HER dreams and aspirations. After you talk to her, let us know what she is thinking and we can revisit this. Good luck

She is just a kid and this should be all about having FUN right now. There is plenty of time for her to become more serious about the game. :-)

I hope you understand where I am coming from on this... I DO understand what you would like.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 08:35 
Site Admin

I know many high school coaches that are hesitant and actually even have a rule that they don't move up 9th graders, because they are afraid that they won't be psychologically ready. So I would stay on the side of caution with a 3rd grader and just make sure she is having fun.

Maybe when she is 5th or 6th grade and shows a passion for the game, you can start looking at challenging her a bit more with better competition. I heard this analogy once, you want to "slow-cook" the athlete.

From 3rd to 5th grade, this is definitely a stage where things want to be fun. As Daniel Coyle calls it in the Talent code, it's the "Ignition" stage where you ignite the passion for the game.