All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 07:48 

You can introduce the concept of HELP line defense... but, will the remember it in game situations? They are so young and have a lot to learn about the game.... could you use the time for other fundamentals that would serve you better?

You can tell them about the imaginary line down the middle of the floor - which is the help line - and if you run a shell drill you can teach that concept ..... Ballside / Helpside. Good luck on that one, let me know IF they get that one LOL
I've seen high school kids that don't get that.

I'm glad that you are seeing some improvement using the no dribble concept... they will get better the more you do that.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 15:58 

Surprisingly most of my players understoood the helpline I pulled out the masking tape so they could see what I meant. 1 kid is lost but it doesn't bother me at all he is still learning we lost Saturday were 0-8 , we played well I only had 5 players available the other team had 13 1 of my players fouled out with 3 minutes to in the game but they played their hearts out we were smaller team too. We lost 16-46 but again we played m2m with ball pressure. They were a much bigger team and they stayed in zone the whole game but they couldn't run plays due to the strong m2m instead they chucked up shots and crashed the boards it was difficult for them to box out the bigger players any suggestions would be helpful.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 17:54 

Congratulations.... your kids have or are picking up a great concept of m2m defense... the help line... this will make them better players down the line.

Its a shame that those teams play zones... they are NOT doing their players and service and You ARE! Keep working on the m2m defense... it sounds like it was working well for you... boxing out bigger players is tough at any level.

You will have to run some box out drills and hopefully it will help. I hope that your players and PARENTS realize what you are trying to teach the kids.. YOU are doing the right thing, the other coaches are worrying about WINNING ONLY... pretty sad.

Just keep teaching the fundamentals of the game, ball handling, passing, moving without the ball and shooting a little bit... and make sure your kids are having FUN. Good luck.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/basketballdrills.html#reboundingdrills

Rebounding/Block Out Drill

Rebounding Drill: Close Out Box Out