All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 11:58 

I have one assistant coach that's been with me (head coach) for the last three years. He's as passionate about bb as I am. I really have a tough time on the offensive end and I've found myself not working on offense much (proper shooting really). I am a very defensive-minded coach and we work on this majority of the time. The boys (7-8 year olds) can stop just about anyone but on the other end of the court, we just seem to score. Should I have my asst work with them on the offensive end and I focus on the defensive end? I'm a bit of control freak, so it's easier said than done.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 17:31 

I can understand the control freak part... but IF you aren't teaching kids that age a little something about the offensive end of the floor, you are doing them a disservice....
They are very young so you have to water things down a little bit.... it has to be hard for them to shoot anyway... but they need some idea as to what you want them to do.
Do yourself a favor.... let your assistant handle the offense, you will both grow from the experience..... as will the kids... make sure they are having fun.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 19:26 

Coach: you really need to relinquish a little of that control to your Assistant Coach. If you are the control freak to maintain to be, then you don't require an assistant unless you need him to do the stats and things like that. How skilled is your assistant with offense? If he has a good handle on it then by all means split up the duties. As you yourself stated, you have little knowledge of offense and you are doing a disservice to your kids by only teaching them one aspect of the game. Good Luck Coach Mac