All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 09:02 

Hi this is my second year coaching basketball . I never actually played the game when i was at school having played netball for many years which tended to be the more popular game for girls in New Zealand when i was at school . Last year i coached my sons primary school basketball team (9-10year olds) and just ended up reading heaps about basketball and teaching fundamentals as i understood them . We were successful in winning our league but now i am coaching my sons team again this year and want to be able to offer both development of skills and demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of playing the game . I still dont really understand about positions and things like setting screens etc and when i read about it the jargon is quite tricky too . I want to know in plain english how to develop these boys and introduce them to concepts which they can begin to think about as they progress with their basketball so i can bring out the best in them and keep them interested.i also want to be credible as a coach. i thought about purchasing a dvd . Can you steer me in a direction that would give me specific guidance and if you reccommend a dvd how long would it take to get to me in New Zealand? Thanks for your time.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 09:07 

Welcome to the wonderful world of coaching youth basketball....

Take a look at this DVD - it will help you a lot with your needs with this age group.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/bigelow-youth-right-way.html

The more you coach the more you will learn about the game... so be patient with yourself too......

Pick one or two areas/things that you want to know about and we will try to walk you through them.... remember, there are a lot of coaches here and some of us have different ways of teaching / coaching our kids/teams.