All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 18:36 

My 5th Grade team won the county tournament yesterday. I am so excited and proud I can barely put it into words. My guys won five games within a span of 48 hours and were the last team standing in a field of 35. I want to thank the staff at Breakthrough Basketball for putting together an outstanding website full of free information that any coach can use to get started and adapt to fit his/her personnel.

Joe has sent me information privately that aided me in developing some tactics that were important in the tournament. I've gained a great deal from visiting this site and forum. I was just a dad with a passion for the game who was thrown into coaching, like so many, because no one else wanted to run the show. I played in grade school and high school, but didn't know where to begin with kids so young (I began coaching them during last school year, in the 4th grade).

The keys:
1) absolute, no-nonsense, no-excuses, every possession defense. This is 90% of the equation.
2) hitting someone and bodying them to rebound so that defensive stands are short, limiting shots.
3) a simple offensive system of passing, cutting and spreading the floor. Teach passing and cutting, passing and screening, and moving to spot up on dribble penetration. I also taught pick and roll plays for the point to relieve pressure.

I will gladly correspond with anyone who has questions about what we did. I am in love with coaching now, and I plan to continue. I was not blessed with star talent. In fact, I wrote on my initial assessment sheet the night I met them all, "It's going to be a long year." It was. Last year, we ended our season with a dismal showing in the tournament after going 6-3. I had no reliable ball handlers and only one kid who understood the game well.

Today, as I write this, I am stunned at what we were able to do in such a short time. You can do this as well. Just expect your guys to give their best on every possession, demand it even, and teach them to play defense both individually and as a team. Best of luck to all of you, and a big "Thank You" to Breakthrough Basketball!

Regards,
Neil

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 17:25 

Conratulations Neil -

Kudos for you taking on this tough age group... sounds like you did a great job of teaching fundamentals. Funny how those "long " years turn into something good when you go about it the right way. Winning is a by product of a fundametally sound team.

Even IF you didn't win it all, IF those kids improved from day 1, then you did a great job. The biggest thing was that they bought what you wrere selling and thats half the battle. They believed in you and your system. Glad to hear that you are going to continue coaching.... its the greatest gig going.

You think you feel good now, wait until you see them make the high school teams... then you will be on cloud nine.
I hope everyone had fun this season.....

Good luck