All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 09:05 

I coach in a county league, the division i coach in is junior pro it consists of 9 to 13 year old's. Last year my junior boys team went 0-10 and got outscored every game by on average 30 points. I tried to explain to them that they were the youngest team in the league and with this being most of their first time playing that our record was to be expected. But despite my efforts to keep them together and make them stronger most of them chose to go to other teams. This year I drafted players that I looked at and thought i could improve and people say that is my downfall. In a league where most people think winning is everything the coaches draft players that will win the game and i draft players that I think I can make better and as a result I risk losing more players because in their parents eyes we are a "losing team" I love helping these boys improve but hate losing them at the end of the saeson because we only win one of two games. What should I do?

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 12:07 

I would think that you should have a pre season meeting and let the players and parents know what your goals are... and that is to teach them the fundamentals of the game - winning is NOT the most important thing in their lives.... who will remember IF they go 10-0 or 30-0 in 10 years? I bet they will remember IF you can help them to make the high school teams. Anyone can coach good players... doesn't take an Einstein.... take those average kids and make them BETTER ... hopefully enough to play at the next level.

How can you play 9-10 year olds against 13 year old kids? Thats ridiculous. JMO

I think that IF you can get your goals across to the parents and kids, they might understand what you are trying to do for them.. IF THEY DON'T, then you are working with the wrong parents.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 12:58 

So you're saying that I'm doing the right thing by trying to improve these kids in their game and if the parents don't understand that then tere is no getting through to them anyway?

Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 14:11 

Thats pretty much what I am saying... so, how do you correct that? Pre season meetings defining your program and your philosophy.... which seems to me to be to teach the kids how to play the game. You are going to have to be a good salesman here.... get your point across..... and let them ask you questions.. it might help to clarify things. Clearer?

And yes, I think that you are trying to do things the right way.

Why don't you invite them into the forum and let them ask the coaches in here their thoughts on this. There are some very good coaches in here, some have a different way of explaining things, but I think we are all on the same page for the most part.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 19:49 

ok thank you so much. i really appreciate this advice!