All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 16:25 

I have a beasketball team of (7) 2nd graders. 3 are okay, 3 are pretty good and 1 outstanding talent. Last year, the 1 played on another team and the coach pretty much just had him take the ball at all times. He's a good kid and coachable, understands the game and has ALOT of raw talent (He can beat up on the 4th and 5th graders). I'm planning on not having him be point guard at all this year (maybe here and there) to keep his touches down as I don't want him to take over a game without him knowing it - but I don't want to stifle his progress either. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 09:05 

First of all Brent, God Bless you for working with kids this age!

Its wiser to work and teach every kid the same fundamentals.... today's dud could be tomorrows super star...... I saw it at the high school level all the time, kids coming in that either didn't make the jr high team or didn't play a lot.. only to end up All Conference players as Seniors.
Teach them all how to play m2m defense and give them a simple offense - a pass and cut motion is about as simple as you can get. I like your idea of having another kid be the point at times... what would you do if the good kid got hurt or sick... you need a back up..... with that motion everyone has to be able to handle the ball.

Stiock with your game plan, trust your gut - it sounds like a good one.