All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 14:46 

I am coaching a 5ht grade girls team with 16 players. The other coaches and I agreed to split even rather than "A" "B". The problem is this goes against the by-laws of the club we coach for. So far the parents have bought in to the even split however I'm afraid the "crazies" will demand "A" "B" next year. The 6th grade splits "A" "B" and have all kinds of problems. 7th & 8th grade each only have enough for one team (IMO a result of years of "A" "B" split). 3rd and 4th are agree with my theory and split even.

Obviously once the players get to 7th grade school ball they split "A" "B" or cut. Is that the best time to start with that?

Thanks,

Jim

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 16:22 

So, in essence they are picking the 7th and 8th grade teams in 5th grade.... doesn't seem fair at that age does it?

5th - 6th graders should be learning fundamentals, learning how to play the game, having fun and not worrying about the W!

The longer you keep kids interested, the more fun they have, the more they learn, the more apt they are to stick with the sport or activity. The more kids you can keep playing in your program, the better the program will be.

I was a Varsity coach and believe me, I saw kids come in that didn't make their Jr High team or never played... and they flourished in our prorgam... we had an A & B Freshman team - I saw some B Team players who went on to become All Conference players - The Diamonds in the Rough so to speak.

Maybe you and the other coaches AND parents should sit down and talk to whoever is in charge and discuss the by laws of the Club. One suggestion I might make is to ask the Head Varsity basketball coaches in your area to sit in with you.

Good luck and let us know how this plays out.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 16:50 

I(we) have the varsity coach on board with split squad and maintain high numbers. Now to convince the board of the club to change their way of thinking.

Thanks for your thoughts

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 17:05 

Have the varsity coach present the ideas to the board... IF they don't listen to him/her, they probably wont listen to anyone... bring the parents along too.... strength in numbers. :-)

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 20:51 

Coach Sar wrote:
So, in essence they are picking the 7th and 8th grade teams in 5th grade.... doesn't seem fair at that age does it?

5th - 6th graders should be learning fundamentals, learning how to play the game, having fun and not worrying about the W!

The longer you keep kids interested, the more fun they have, the more they learn, the more apt they are to stick with the sport or activity. The more kids you can keep playing in your program, the better the program will be.

I was a Varsity coach and believe me, I saw kids come in that didn't make their Jr High team or never played... and they flourished in our prorgam... we had an A & B Freshman team - I saw some B Team players who went on to become All Conference players - The Diamonds in the Rough so to speak.

Maybe you and the other coaches AND parents should sit down and talk to whoever is in charge and discuss the by laws of the Club. One suggestion I might make is to ask the Head Varsity basketball coaches in your area to sit in with you.

Good luck and let us know how this plays out.

Obvioulsy you coached sometime around the invention of fire. :) Didn't you know that these days kids are expected to "pick" their sport and specialize by age 5. Heck, even USC gave an "offer" to a 13 year old. Youth sports certainly has changed.

FWIW, IMO I wouldn't want A & B until High School -- when it actually might matter. There is a local girls park district program that loaded one team with all the "A" players and left the "Bs" on the two other teams. Well guess what -- the 2 B teams get crushed every game, while the A team wins a few, looses a few. Not a lot of fun for the kids, including the kids on the winning teams as they sit so as not to run up the score. Spread the talent. Especially in a sport like basketball where you can build a pretty good team around 2 or 3 dominant players. Good luck.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 22:35 

I was coaching when the Dinosaurs were roaming the Earth. :-) I probably coached longer than you are old. LOL

That's the problem with youth sports today.. they want kids to specialize at a very young age.... that's stupid. Let the kids have some fun and find out about other sports and activities.

I saw that 13 year old QB... he was fairly tall and had a great arm for a kid..... all the power to him for getting a scholarship this early. He has some great QB coach working with him and a lot of other QBs at some camp. This kid is very serious about the game.

Like I said... wait until high school to split... teach the kids fundamentals so they can play at the next level.