All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 09:39 

Hello!

So I am coaching 6th grade girls basketball. As of now I only have 4 girls. The AD told me I will have to have some 5th grader play up. This is fine but there will be different ones playing each time. I need advise as to how to go about this when I won't even have practices with the 5th graders. I will just be practicing with my 6th grade girls.

I know trying to get some practices with the 5th graders is a must but what should be some other next steps.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 13:43 
Site Admin

If I have very limited time to practice with some of the players, here's what i would run...

- motion offense. keep spacing (critical). every time you pass either screen for someone or basket cut (no standing). keep moving... cutting and screening continuously.

- man defense... primary objectives are: pressure the ball always, keep the ball out of the paint (no paint and no easy shots)

- baseline out of bounds plays: get in a box and then set screens or cut to get open.

- sideline out of bounds plays: stack and then cut to open spots (don't go into teammates space)

- press breaker... give the ball to your best player and let them beat it. Or go to a 2-1-2 format if against zone press.

Should be simple enough to learn with no or few practices.