All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 12:56 

Was wondering on a drafting strategy. Draft works off coaching assessment's then you draft 5 star's thru 1 star's for a total of 9-10 kids. I was thinking of making my first pick a ball handler and going big. Unless there are lots of ball handlers and only a few bigs then swap it. Picking the best scorer available as a 3 star and quicker athletes for my 2 and 1 starts then doing the same in round 2. I like to win but more so would like to put these kids in a team environment to develop them into their positions as they continue with the game of basketball. Thanks in advance. Going to step away now and start reading on finding the holes in a 2-3 since I don't figure on having lots of outside shooters to spread it out.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 17:07 
Site Admin

Never heard of a draft for youth teams before. I wouldn't worry too much. Just make your picks and do your best to develop what ever you get.

On a side note, I would not put kids into positions... players should learn all positions and just learn how to be basketball players. Too often kids get pigeonholed into "positions" when they are young and then they struggle later on in high school when they need go be in a different position because they didn't grow, they did grow, their new team has different needs, etc.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 17:28 

Thanks Jeff. They do a draft at this age so the teams are balanced. That's great advice on playing the kids at different positions. I guess sometimes we forget that kids develops at different ages.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 12:09 

I like the draft concept, it takes away from friends being able to play together, but it does bring some parity to the league not allowing all the best players to be stacked on a few teams.

I'm huge on trying to avoid putting kids in specific positions, especially at that age. So many changes occur over the next 5-6 years. Sometimes you can't avoid putting your big on another team's big, but on the whole, I'm all about giving every player a chance to widen their skill set.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 23:50 

heathmc wrote:
Was wondering on a drafting strategy. Draft works off coaching assessment's then you draft 5 star's thru 1 star's for a total of 9-10 kids. I was thinking of making my first pick a ball handler and going big. Unless there are lots of ball handlers and only a few bigs then swap it. Picking the best scorer available as a 3 star and quicker athletes for my 2 and 1 starts then doing the same in round 2. I like to win but more so would like to put these kids in a team environment to develop them into their positions as they continue with the game of basketball. Thanks in advance. Going to step away now and start reading on finding the holes in a 2-3 since I don't figure on having lots of outside shooters to spread it out.

I don't know if anybody would still be watching this thread after a year or more, but for a 5th-6th grade level team, I'd say first and foremost, make sure each team has at least a couple reasonably decent ball handlers on the roster.

Nothing takes a 5th-6th grade team down the chutes faster than not having an adequate ball handler on the court at all times -- if you don't have at least one decent guard on the floor, opponents can go crazy with steals and run off 16-2 runs on you all night long.

So I'd draft two good ball handlers first (unless somehow a 6-foot center falls to you). After you get a couple of decent guards, then start going for rebounding.

Oh well, just in case this comes in handy in the future!