All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 11:22 

I have read much of the material on your website and have learned so much about coaching youth basketball. However my daughter is in a school where the coaches in the program do pretty much the opposite of most of what you teach. I have tried to suggest things that I have learned on your website but nothing changes. I was wondering if you had any suggestions or could have someone contact me as it would be nice to talk to someone with a similar philosophy of coaching. Thanks!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 13:37 
Site Admin

Unfortunately what you are seeing if fairly common. Coaches coach based on how their high school coach did things or based on what they see on tv. As you know, that usually isn't the best thing for young kids.

Trying to get them to change will be very difficult. Coaches don't really want anyone telling them how to do their job. Now if they think it's "their idea"... that's another story. But they will be reluctant to listen to someone else.

The only suggestion I have is to try to find opportunities for your child to develop skills in other places...
- with a club team that focuses on skills
- local personal skills trainer
- youth skill camps
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/camps/
- in the driveway
- workout programs you can do at home
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/bhworkouts.html

Another option is to coach them yourself. That's what I do. You can also send forward the coaches articles from our site. Maybe in time the repetition of what we say will soak in. And again, from my experience, they need to think teaching the fundamentals is their idea... not yours.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 16:17 

Jeff already said it, but "suggesting" a whole new coaching philosophy might not go over so well. Finding like-minded parents and coaches in your area is probably going to yield better results.

The challenge at this age is kids want to play with their friends and aren't really playing based off a coach's techniques. If all of their friends are on the team with the funky coach, it's more difficult to switch teams. I've seen situations where a few parents switched to a new team and others followed down the road.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 14:38 

I have also found when it comes to a Coach's style, it is like a persona attack if you try bring out their differences compared to other coaching techniques.