All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 07:37 

I have a 4th grader boy playing at Y rec league. This spring, the Y decides to combine 4th and 5th due to low enrollment.
With that, they allow zone defense. At this age with 4th graders, it's hard to remember anything.
can anyone point out a very simple offense against 2-3 zone? ideally, position just needs to remember a couple of moves.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/plays/Overload-zone.html seems to be simple enough. But how do you reset in case the initial attack is not successful?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 11:59 
Site Admin

What offense do you run now? Personally I just make very simple adjustments to our motion when facing zone defenses. That saves time and it works.

I have also just run simple gap attacks. Against a 2-3 zone, you can put players at each wing, at top of key, player in middle area, and player in short corner. They just move the ball around, look to drive, cut into gaps, dive when it goes to short corner, and so on. Players should move to improve passing angles and use pass fakes. You just play.

I have used the gap attack and it works fine. But I prefer using our motion because we get more cuts and player movement which disrupts the zone defense.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2015, 11:15 

Simple offense I used at the younger levels against a 2-3 is place 3 up top, so a point and two wings, 1 at FT line area following ball looking to receive a pass in gaps. Had a player run short corner to short corner.

Concept was pretty simple, lots of passes up top to get defense moving. Short corner player follows ball movement and can get open after a few passes. If ball goes to short corner, player at FT can drop down to receive pass or short corner player can shoot or dribble drive. The off ball wing is supposed to cheat in looking for a quick pass when ball is on the opposite side. This player can get open because at the younger levels players definitely turn their backs and almost forget about the off ball wing.

One teaching point is making sure the offensive players without the ball understand to be in a gap so they can be seen by their teammates. Players at the younger levels tend to stand lined up with a defensive player.

Using coins to demonstrate how to beat zones is a good tool for younger kids. Grab 5 pennies and let the kids set up the zone defense, then use 5 dimes and let them show you where the gaps are in that zone. Move the pennies around to simulate ball movement and let the kids move the dimes to show you how they would line up. It's a great way for them to visualize the gaps in a zone.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015, 06:13 

Thank you Coach Rob and Jeff for your pointers.
To answer Jeff's question about what kind of offense we run now. last season the 4th graders just run basic give & go, pick roll because zone wasn't allowed. Additionally, we couldn't really run play effectively because half of the kids never played.

I will just you guys pointers to run offense and zone defense to see how it goes.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 05:56 
Site Admin

The 5 out and the 4 out pass and cut type of motions work well against zone. This is because the cuts pull the perimeter defenders in and allow easy ball movement. Just make sure perimeter players fill empty spots to the ball after the person in front of them cuts.

So you just keep running your motion, the only adjustment is you don't screen and you instruct cuttings to basket cut hard and then hook back to the ball looking for a gap for a two count, then clear out.

If you run a 5 out, you can also move your corner spots by pulling them into the short corner spots.

Lots of ways to go about things. No right or wrong. Keep it simple... spacing, ball movement, player movement, and find gaps.