All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 11:14 

Hello, I am coaching 10-5th graders and there is quite a difference between the 4 top players and the bottom 4 players. I am seeing that I can teach simpler drills to the bottom 4 to develop basic fundamentals, but the top 4 are not learning as much because they are beyond the drills needed to advance the lower players skills. How can I get the good players to improve, while at the same time develop my newer players?
I have an assistance coach, should I just have him work with the improving players while a work with the better players? And this is a community league, which we only have 2 hrs a week to practice.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 11:38 
Site Admin

I was talking to Don Kelbick about this same topic the other day. Here's how he handles it. He splits players up into groups to work on skills. He might have 2-4 players at a basket. Then they'll work on pivoting, shooting, passing, cutting, ball handling and so on. It's all skill work with tons of footwork practice.

In the drills he tries to get players as many reps as possible. Sometimes he just lets players get reps and they figure it out. Other times, the better players help the other players figure it out.

Now if a large number of players are doing something obviously wrong, he'll stop the whole group and demonstrate. If just one or two players are doing it wrong, he'll pull them aside and work with them individually for a little bit.

If you split players up properly, they will help each other. They key is repetitions.

Now this works for the skill building drills that he uses. It works because he just keeps the repetition going and does not interrupt the drills. You might just need to let players work things out on their own more often. Or maybe your drills are too difficult. A drill does not need to be hard to be effective. No matter what level, you are just pivoting, shooting, passing, and dribbling. If you have players doing that, they will get better.

Bottom line, you need to come up with a method that keeps everyone practicing. I would try what is suggested above. Then if you need to pull players aside, have your assistants watch the others to keep them moving.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 12:46 

Jeff, thanks for the feedback. I am going to try and break my lesser skilled players up into 2-2 person groups, and have them work individually with my assistance coaches. Then have the better kids work together on advanced drills, footwork and passing.
Thanks
Jeff

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 22:29 

Depending upon the drill and the skill, I would defninately consider breaking them up into 2 groups. I would split you time with the assistant between the 2 groups. Don't just focus on 1 group. If everyone gets better, your whole team will get better. Good luck.