All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 19:32 

Anyone care to share their practice plan for this grade? I'm always looking for ways to improve mine. It doesn't have to be detailed, just a general overview. Also, how do you discipline out of line kids- make the offender sit out or we are a team approach so everyone runs type scenario?

Thanks

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 19:56 

First of all it depends on what you are calling out of line... can you explain that a little more?

As for practice plans.... I would say 35% of the time on fundamentals, this is ball handling, dribbling, passing, catching on the move etc.
20% on offense, 25% on defense and 20% on shooting including form and free throws.

When I was a young coach I ran them a lot, the longer I coached the more I found that practice time is very valuable.. any running you can do without a ball, you can run a drill with a ball, accomplish the same thing and teach along the way. JMO

Shorten you drill segments.... 5-6 minutes and keep them moving.... find a fun thing to do at different points of your practice and END every practice on a fun note. Have them leave practice WANTING to come back. Remember, they will go home and talk about practice and the coach. I remembergoing to visit a coaching friend in Tennessee, I helped with a couple of practices.... I was invited to one of the kids house for Christmas.... his dad said, so you are the guy that my son has been talking about.... he has said some nice things about you. Keep that in mind.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 20:23 

Goofing off - not listening- foul mouth talk -pushing. Kid are kids, but we have personality clashes at times.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 21:02 

The foul mouth stuff I wouldn't stand for.... the goofing around is because they might have to much down time between or during drill work? Do you have an assistant coach to help you? IF you do, have him take half the kids to the other side of the court and work on the same things..... too much standing around for kids of that age is going to cause you problems..... another thought......as long as you are not talking/teaching have them do some ball handling drills.

I would ask them if they talk that way at home... ??

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 14:21 

In my experience (which is considerable) I have found that the team approach, while it sounds good theoretically, will create animosity and resentment between your responsible workers, you and your goofers. It will also dis-insentivize the workers (why should I continue to do the right thing when I get punished anyway?). Thinking the good workers will keep the goofers in line is a team killing mistake. There is a lot of meaning in the old phrase "1 bad apple spoils the barrel."

I used to be a team punishment guy and it took a little while to figure out it doesn't work so well (I'm not that smart). Address the offenders at the point of action. You will get their attention and the respect of the others. Younger kids I would sit out, then decide when to bring them back in. Expect it to happen again because young ones have limited carryover from day to day so you have to be consistent over a period of time.

Older players I address once, then send them home if it happens again. If it become a habit, I will evaluate whether I feel he has a place on the team.

Players with language issues should be asked to leave practice, unless you allow the language.

Try what Ken suggests, shortening segments. You might not be dealing with bad attitude but rather the short attention span of children. Be aware that if you run a lot, fatigue also shortens attention span. Even at the college and pro level, except for scrimmage, we would try to limit each segment to 8 minutes, tops.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 16:28 

Thanks guys - no one is swearing by the way, at least that I am aware of :-) What I have been doing is addressing and dealing with the individual. I have been limiting each segment to about 10 minutes. I guess I have on the right track - its nice to get confirmation.