All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 14:17 

I'm coaching a 5th grade travel team. We are a good team with some very skilled players, but are very undersized. I only have one player who's taller than average for the age, and he is a very weak basketball player. I could use some new ideas for strategies as to how to best coach this team. The main area that we get killed on is defensive rebounding. When we play a team with taller boys (which is most of the teams we play), they get an inordinate number of baskets due to putbacks after their offensive rebounds., I'm sure you've seen it - big guy gets a rebound, misses a layup, rebounds it again, misses, rebounds, misses, ... makes. Welcome to my world. So to win games, we need to get an inordinate number of "normal" (non putback) baskets as compared to the other team.

I've tried the obvious things - spreading the floor on offense to "thin the trees" in the paint, and worked on boxing out up the wazoo. Regarding boxing out, they seem to be at the point where they have the sklil of boxing out, but when a ball goes up they still have the instinct of putting their hands up and forgetting about boxing out.

If anyone has any other ideas, as well as any good boxing out drills, I'd appreciate it!

- Dave

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 15:36 

Blocking out is one of the hardest things to get kids to do on a consistent basis. Sounds like your team has some skilled players so emphasizing blocking out shouldn't interfere with the other core defensive fundamentals. I'd remind them every game, "If you do one thing and one thing only on defense, you're going to block out".

I've witnessed some smaller travel teams take it to a bigger team with quickness and finesse. They seem to do two things that work well 1) use their speed both ways on the court and 2)crash the boards. These teams just fly around the paint looking to get there first on rebounds and loose balls. And it's not just one kid, it's all of them.

Not sure there's a silver bullet when you play bigger teams. They'll take advantage of the mismatch, I would. I'd play to your strengths, so if you give up some rebounds, you make it up with getting down the court quicker on transition. Maybe more emphasis on ball pressure up front to keep it out of the paint.

On a side note: I have two guards that are pretty small for 8th graders. We run a one on one drill rolling the ball out to the FT line to a player, closing out and then it's on. I've been amazed to see some of my 5' guys block out our 6' guys and actually get the rebound because of it. Once they experience that, there's no going back because they see it works.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 16:08 

Great ideas Rob -

Before I got to the high school level, I coached 7/8th graders too..... and I had one team that was great at boxing out, it got to the point that they were pushing them out a little too far.... ( worried about fouls ) This one time was the best team I ever had boxing out.

They really have to buy into what you are selling... "That BOXING OUT wins games!" How about some sort of certificate to the player who does the best job of blocking out every game..... and you can set a goal for the number of offensive rebounds they allow... and if they achieve that goal.... you could give them some small treat?? I love bribery, works every time.

Here is one drill... there are several more on the net if you don't have some of your own.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/ReboundingCircleDrill.html

Jeff/Joe - I couldn't find a drill on your site on the left here... did I miss them?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 16:21 

Thanks, guys!

I've actually used both the circle drill and the "roll it out and they play one on one" drill many times. They're good, and my boys can do them pretty well, but it doesn't seem to take in games as much as I'd like. I like the idea of a reward. I'll have to think about how to do that, it obviously depends on who we're playing as to how many offensive rebounds would be acceptable.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 17:05 

We run a simple close out drill with consequences (if defense doesn't end up with ball - 5 push-ups). It covers help side, moving on the pass, close out, boxing out, and getting the ball.

Two lines on each side of FT extended, one line has the ball and is passing, the other line is receiving. The player in the middle is help side and covering the player receiving the pass. Pass goes to receiving line, help side must move on ball and try to beat the pass. They close out, when shot goes up they must yell "Shot!" and block out. If the offense ends up with the ball, it's 5 push-ups for the defense. Whoever gets rebound makes a good pass to the receiving line, the next person in passing line becomes help-side and should move into place quickly after shot is taken. No dribbles or fakes, just one shot for shooting line.

We run this every practice for 10 minutes. We encourage the offensive player to make it hard on the person blocking them out. If the defender isn't blocking out properly, they'll end up doing push-ups.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 17:36 

Rob:

I think I like the sound of that, but I'm a little confused. You talk about the passing line and receving line, but where does the "player in the middle" stand, exactly? And who goes for the rebound on the "offense" - just the shooter? Or does the passer also go for the rebound (in case there must be another defender...)?

- Dave

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 19:43 

dpt wrote:
Rob:I think I like the sound of that, but I'm a little confused. You talk about the passing line and receving line, but where does the "player in the middle" stand, exactly? And who goes for the rebound on the "offense" - just the shooter? Or does the passer also go for the rebound (in case there must be another defender...)?- Dave

To start the drill you pick a player who is in help side defense or "pistols" . We don't have someone at the point on offense, so we're acting like the defender is two passes away. The first person in the passing line passes to receiver to start drill, that passer becomes the next defender. Once the shot is taken, just the shooter and defender are going for the rebound, no extras. It's a one on one type thing.

The reason go without a point is we're teaching help side in this also, so we add a dribble to this drill later on. A coach will stand under the basket behind the defender and give a signal to the passer to pass or dribble. The passer can only dribble towards the lane and the help side should be there to stop him.

Attachments:
DOC407.PDF [74.67 KiB]
Downloaded 1600 times

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 23:13 

Ok, I think I got it. So it's also working on help side close outs when the defender's man gets a pass from a passer who is two passes away. So is the defender ideally supposed to get there in time to close out and stop the shot?

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 08:54 
Site Admin

My best defensive rebounding weapon is our defense. We usually do extremely well on the boards because about the only thing we give up are contested / hurried jump shots. We usually keep the ball out of the post, seal seams on the perimeter, and keep the ball about 15 ft from the basket.

It doesn't matter how many box out / rebounding drills you do, if the opponent is able to get the ball close to the basket via drive or post up, your defensive players will be out of position and have trouble getting the defensive rebounds. Sealing seams and keeping the ball out keeps our guys in good rebounding position.

Just wanted to throw that out there as something to keep in mind. You have to decide what things will give you a return. Sometimes you'll find that you can spend your entire season working on something and get little result. If it were me I'd focus on good defense (keeping the ball away from the basket) which I think will help with the rebounding problems and spend a lot of time on offensive fundamentals (shooting, passing, dribbling, footwork, etc). You might not win a lot of games but you'll be developing the kids to have a chance in the future, which is what this is all about.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 10:29 

Jeff -

Funny you point this out.... one year we spent time on boxing out.... 4 different segments at 5 minutes !! Guess what we got out of that? ZIP / Zilch..... so I decided to spend more time on defense and shooting.... cant win if you cant socre. JMO