All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 14:21 

This fall we played a team that included a player that used to play on my team. This is the 3rd team he has been on since since he left mine 18 months ago. When he left my team his parents told me that he wanted to play in a "more competitive environment." I wasn't very happy about it, partly because his departure coincided with a few others and I was worried that I wouldn't have enough to field a team, also when it is presented that way I can't help but feel that it is a reflection of my coaching, the team and the other players (i.e. "you all aren't good enough for my son"). If he had been so much more talented than the the rest of the players, then by all means....but he wasn't. He was in the middle of the pack. The ironic thing is that the team he plays on now is actually much weaker than ours. I am not sure why he left the other teams between this one and mine, maybe they were a "more competitive environment" than he was ready for and he didn't play much.

As I look around I see more and more of these "youth sport journeyman." Occasionally, one will show up to one of our tryouts and they can be strong players too but then when you talk with the parents and learn that their son has played for all these different teams...that just sends warning flashes across my mind that if I take him he's not likely to be there for more than one season. Now, I know there are some very good reasons for not staying with one team forever -- the player is struggling, the player needs more challenges, logistical issues, etc.

But I have to think that all this team hopping can't be helpful in terms of developing loyalty, friendships, meaningful relationships with coaches, etc. And most of this hopping around at this age (6th grade) is driven by the parents.

What have been other coach's experiences with this phenomena? What happens when these "journeymen" get older? Do they burn out? Become uncoachable with a sense of entitlement? Become withdrawn? Or is this just the way sports and society are these days and it really is no big deal?

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 17:39 

Coach O -

Maybe its the "Grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome? Everybody wants to be on a winner too.... to what end? Go 40-0 and NOT make the high school team because they lack the fundamentals necessary? Parents pushing little Johnny to be the next M J ? The kid not happy with the playing time? It could be one or all of these if not more.
From what you said about the more competitive environment.... THAT sounds like a parent talking .... what 10 - 11 - 12 year old is going to say that?

I would think that at your level, it would be more about teaching fundamentals and learning how to play the game... with each player getting some playing time. This is the developmental age - IF kids aren't playing its not fun for them and they will move on or quit.

I think that you should have a written philosophy about what you want to teach, playing time, practice expectations etc...... and then have a meeting with the Parents and kids! Have a contract that they both have to sign so there is no MISUNDERSTANDING with them. I doubt that any of these problems are your fault... kind of goes with the territory these days.

I still think (from what you describe) that this is a parental issue.... and THAT is exactly what's wrong with YOUTH SPORTS of today. JMO

Good luck, I hope you can solve this problem..... maybe you cant solve it all, but you sure can make sure that YOUR program is well run and the kids WANT to play for you and your team.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 07:52 
Site Admin

I don't see a lot of players bouncing around in my area, although I'm sure it happens. I do see plenty of burn out though (kids playing 50 or more games a year starting in 3rd grade). I also see plenty of parents ruining the experience for their kids.
http://www.bookwormblog.com/2006/10/bruce_brown_the.html

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 11:11 

Jeff, thanks for the article. It is definitely a good one and I have printed it out for future discussion with my families. It is also a good reference for me with my two kids and their sports teams.

Coach Sar, you've hit all the key points. In my area (Washington, DC) hoops is huge so there are many different options for parents from beginning rec style basketball all the way to some of the best AAU teams in the country. So lots of options. My families mostly come from the wealthy suburbs where there is a type A achiever, best of the best mindset already in place. So combine those two and you definitely get a grass is greener approach by many parents and a willingness to hop their kids around. It doesn't help when the same thing happens at the higher level of sports and that is looked as a reference point.

I mostly have parents on the team now who "get it" and have the bigger picture perspective. But I still feel like I am swimming against a larger tide that is impossible to reverse.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 13:11 
Site Admin

Oh.... How can I relate to that!! I've never had a kid bounce but I coach in Kansas City and I have dealt with the same wealthy Type A parents.

My only advice would be to focus on the good stuff. Personally, I've gotten worked up in similar situations. Then in retrospect, I ask myself why I got worked up over 1 or 2 sets of parents when all of the other ones are great.

My only advice would be to focus on the good ones. You'll always have a couple of rotten apples.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 13:27 

I agree with Joe!

Focus on the good kids and parents, let the other ones bounce around if they want.... better to have good kids and focus on building a good program... where kids want to play and parents want their kids there!!

Build your program how you want it and where you want it to go. It might take awhile but it can happen. Smile and have fun with your kids.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 11:37 

Thanks again for all the feedback. It's a pretty good group at the moment and I am hopeful it will stay that way.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 19:23 

Good points above. Through the years, I've been able to keep a core group of families together based on a coaching and team philosophy we all agree upon. Since moving up to the more competitive levels, I've had a couple of kids come and go based on wanting to play with better players. My team hasn't required tryouts, while almost all of the teams we play against have tryouts. Makes sense why some players would want to move on.

I've had a big kid play for our team off and on over the past few years. He'd move to another team, then would come back to play a season with us. My goal with him was to work on his ball handling skills, the other teams he played on always stuck him on the block and would get ticked if he even dared to bring the ball up court. I made him do dribbling drills with both hands and would let him bring the ball up court. He'd even dribble against fast breaks on my team.

On my team, he had a chance to improve his ball handling skills. On his other team, they use him in the typical "big guy" role, but he plays with higher quality players. I stick with what works for me and if parents/players like it, they stay. Doesn't make me better than the next guy, just boils down to parents/players goals and which team is better suited to meet them.