All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 09:32 

Our next opponent has been blessed with speed, the kids on this team are much much faster than my boys. I am wondering what is the best way to defend them and hopefully slow them down? Should i full court press, I already run a man to man D, should i swith to a zone? What can i do to prepare my boys for the fast paced game ahead of them?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 11:36 

My first thought is not to change things drastically just for this opponent. If your kids aren't proficient at a full court press or a zone, I wouldn't try and cram that in last minute. If you already have some type of press, you could modify it to slow the other team down rather than looking for steals and traps.

Usually teams that have quicker players like a fast paced game, slowing down and playing a more controlled game will help. If you already play M2M, you could modify that and have your guys sag a bit more to provide help. Playing a deny or pressure defense against a really quick team might not be to your advantage. I'd work on your help-side defense and stress not letting the opponent in the paint. When you do get the rebound or loose ball on defense, secure it instead of trying to play their fast paced game.

Having said all that, it doesn't mean your kids aren't hustling for loose balls and playing with intensity. They will ALL need to sprint back to the paint to defend the other teams fast breaks

Challenge your kids in practice this week to beat their man to the spot. Work on some fundamentals with regards to defensive posture, proper footwork, and attitude.

Playing teams that are faster and more athletic will make your team better. Keep that in mind.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 13:40 

Great points Rob -

I wouldn't press/press this team.... I would show press and just float in front of them, just to control the tempo.

Like Rob said, pack your defense, don't pressure. Force them to make more passes.

Your key is to control the tempo... since this team wants to play fast, take that away from them... on offense, slow the game down.... that doesn't mean that you don't shoot the ball when you have good shots... it mean, reversing the ball a couple of times until you get the shot you want.

Doing all of this will frustrate them a little bit and hopefully they will take some bad shots.