All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 18:36 

When the offense is running a delay of game and the point guard is holding the ball just over half court with no defender on her, don't the officials have to direct the defense to go guard her?
My team was on offense. The defense was in a tight 2-3 defense. We wanted to spread the defense so we spread out and held the ball. The defense would not come out and the officials didn't direct them to come out and guard us. Aren't the officials supposed to direct the defense to play defense and come out and guard us?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 19:08 
Site Admin

No it's not up to the officials. It's up to the players and coaches on whether they come out or not.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 16:45 

What Jeff said.

I've been in those situations and they rarely work in terms of getting the other team to come out of their zone. Things usually get awkward as you have a standoff between the point guard stalling and the defense waiting.

I was kind of a purist when it came to defense and figured EVERYONE had to play M2M like we did. I eventually came to the conclusion it was better to practice a good offense against the zone and make them pay for playing a zone. If nothing else, it's a great opportunity to practice ball movement which is a huge key in beating a zone anyway.