All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2014, 19:44 

When my son plays 1 on 1, my son doesn't defend this situation well. Basically, the other player turns his back on my son and use the body to shield the ball. My son keeps backing away while the dribbler dribbles towards the goal that way.
If the offense player is dribbling the ball and then use his back to shield defender, can defender use his hand to touch the offensive player's back and stand there without backing off?
My son said that's a foul. But I thought you could as long as you don't push. otherwise, the dribbler will just push off the defender and gets closer to the goal.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2014, 21:40 

I know you mentioned 1 v1, but my first response is to have your son defend the post player before ball gets to him when playing 5v5. In other words, discourage the ball from getting to this player. Couple of videos below is what we would teach our kids on defending the post players.

To answer your question, most officials let you play when battling in the post. If the post player has the ball and dribbles scooting backwards, your son can hold his position and not back up. He can't use open hands to push the dribbler back, but most refs won't call it if you have an arm with a closed fist across waist area and other hand up in air. If all he's doing is holding his ground, he shouldn't get a call. He could even take a charge by falling back if the dribbler uses enough force to knock him down. If the dribbler turns to face the basket, we teach hands straight up in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JvsNiOGG6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FggSrFr-JLE Right around 3:55 is what happens if the post player gets the ball and the defender is behind him. Entire vid has good points though.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 07:20 

Hi Coach Rob,
Sorry I didn't clarify the question. What I meant is a pickup game at the gym when he plays against another player. At top of the key, he passes the ball to the player and then defend. The player with the ball then turns his body and then dribble backwards. the player backs my son off until he gets close to the goal and then shoot.

I think you answered the question, the defender can put his hand against the back of the ball dribbler and hold ground without backing off.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 09:43 

I cant imsgine that being allowed in an organized game... but playing PARK ball, pretty much anything goes. Use the arm bar and lean on that player.... tell him to hold his ground. Park ball is a good way to learn some things about playing the game.... why don't you ask him what he thinks he should do??

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 11:55 

If it is a pickup game, aren't the rules "no blood, no foul?" Just have him hold is ground.

If done in a game, I would go for the double team on the ball. As soon as the player turns his back, there is no way he can see the floor and make a pass.