All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2013, 14:53 

Hi, coach a grade 7/8 boys team and we are having trouble protecting the paint and dealing with cutters. I have tried switching to a zone offense because they are having trouble staying with their man. Any suggestions?

Thanks

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2013, 17:32 

Implement a rule that you always "bump" the cutters. Your defender is going to the same spot as the cutter and has some type of contact. They can't hold the cutter, it's just a bump to slow them down and not give them a clear path to the basket. I've personally never had an official call a foul on that. You'll have to run shell drills to emphasize this, but stop the practice when someone doesn't bump the cutter. It's a habit, just like blocking out that you'll have to make a big deal out of before it becomes something they just do.

Sounds like you need to beef up the help-side defense which will help with protecting the paint. Shell drills are good to emphasize where the help-side defense should be at any given time. I usually go with 4 v 4, but you can run 5 v 5 drills. Take it slow at first just passing the ball around and seeing how the defense reacts. When a defender is one pass away, they need to be ready to help, when the the defender is two passes away, they must have two feet in the paint. A defender who is two passes away in the paint can usually recover if a pass if thrown cross court to their man. If you play M2M, it should almost look like a zone in the respect of help-side defense.

Hope this helps some.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2013, 07:11 
Site Admin

Sounds like a fundamental aspect of defense that just requires teaching and practice. Unless it has been taught and drilled, all players have trouble with this.

You can run the fogler shell drill and also have the offense run a a pass and cut offense (perimeter passes only) while the defense stays in position. They must jump to the ball on the pass, deny cuts to the ball, let cutters away from the ball go.

If you need more help and want detailed instruction of all aspects of defense, this DVD covers it.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/huber-defense.html

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2013, 12:17 

JeffHaefner wrote:
They must jump to the ball on the pass, deny cuts to the ball, let cutters away from the ball go.
Great points. Jumping to the ball or moving on the pass is a key ingredient I forgot to mention. We teach if you're one pass away and the ball is being passed to your man, beat the ball there. A lot of times players will stand and watch the pass in the air, then move. Movement needs to occur as soon as the ball is leaving the passer's hands.

Another thought without adding too much in the mix, have your kids communicate on defense. Talk to them about the importance of communicating with one another. If I'm guarding the ball and hear "help" on both sides, it will give me more confidence to pressure the ball handler. Some coaches like players to say, "I've got ball" or "I've got help!", we just have them say, "ball", "help", "skip", "screen left/right".

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2013, 12:33 

Last thought. We do a drill called 3 stops. Got it off the tubes, can't remember where now.

Line of players at top of key facing basket. Offensive player in the key, defensive player with a ball opposite of O player. D player shoves ball into hands of offensive player. We don't want the D player handing the ball to the O player, we want them shoving it in there making a statement to the O player that they're ready to defend in an aggressive manner.

You decide how many dribbles the O player gets, we start with 3 and move to 2. O player has to drive to the basket, no stopping and shooting outside shots, they're trying to beat the D player and get in the paint. D player has to keep them out of the paint without using their hands. D player is trying to force a shot away from the basket. D player stays in each time he forces a stop which equals no score for offense and the ball ends up in his hands or goes out of bounds. After 3 stops, rest of the players must do 10 push-ups or whatever you decide. Add making them chant "You da man!" while doing push-ups and I bet you see a few more kids wanting to be "da man". If O makes a shot, he is now on D, D player goes to back of line.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2013, 16:11 

All great ideas! Thanks so much! Will try some of them out.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 12:51 

I agree with descenders moving when the passes in the air.... We call that moving on their time. It is too late if they wait until the ball is caught. Bumping the cutters is important and don't let anybody face cut you. Could help side defense is also have important and if you really want to keep the ball out of the paint via post touches.... Put a lot of pressure on the ball. Force them to put the ball on the floor and once they pick it up lock up on them so they can't see into the post easily.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2013, 20:23 

By the way I meant to say moving on AIR time.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2013, 11:24 

Great ideas! Will keep at it and hopefully it will transfer to games. Thanks!

PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 08:56 

Great topic. I enjoyed reading all the suggestions. Hope they all worked for your team.