All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 03:16 

If anyone interested to see a full game with all of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJvygFjxLkk

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 18:48 

That's a lot of playing time, like the 4 on 4 concept. Interesting that there is only one ref who stays at mid-court. Seems like they let the kids "play", not too many fouls called.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 20:19 

15 players is a lot to get in a game.... 36 minutes or not. Running clock??

I like the developmental part.... parents and coaches are very competitive.... so they think more about winning than developing. Do you have pre season meetings with ALL parents / ALL teams to discuss what the league is all about?
TEACHING FUNDAMENTALS??

Ask them if they would rather see their kids go 36-0 or make the high school team? (or the equivalent)

Its funny how my kids ended up playing football for 4 years and basketball for one once they go to high school. We didn't have our own gym so they didn't grow up in one like a lot of schools. We rented 2 gyms so we got plenty of practice time... but kids that have a gym in their school will develop athletic skills a lot quicker than kids that go to schools withiout one.

We played football, basketball and baseball... they always wanted our football players because they were well schooled fundamentaly and tough kids. Some of our baseball players did well too.

I am still impressed with your kids and what you did with them (taught You can be proud of how you are coaching/teaching them. Good luck and I hope you get to work with them next year..... and I hope that you can get your parents to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 03:05 

Thanks, it makes me glad to read this and more confident in my way, but I have to admit that most of the time my kids are just taller, or faster (or both) than opposing players.

You're right, 15 players is a lot in 36 minutes. Especially when each one must play atleast 6 minutes. My top player (#21), who is also by far the best in the league allowed to play only 18 minute out of 36.

I did have a pre-season meeting with all parents, and I explained the purpose of the league in this age, and that we may win all of the games or lose some, but our goal is to prepare them for the future.

Unfortunatley some teams/coaches are more compettitive than others, and we don't get to meet and discuss it.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 07:25 

"Unfortunatley some teams/coaches are more compettitive than others, and we don't get to meet and discuss it."

As long as your players and parents understand, thats all that counts. They are all on the same page and you can take solace in fact that YOU are DOING it the RIGHT WAY. Your kids will benefit more in the long run because they WILL be ready to play at the next level.

Maybe you can stay with this group for a few years and watch how much they improve and when they get older and make the high school teams, you will be very proud of them and know that you are doing it the right way,

By the way, the problems that you describe there, happen all over. One coach that was bragging about his W/L record, getting some 10 year old to cry because they went box and 1 on him...... I told him that I would nominate him for 10 year old coach of the year. Guys like that should be laying brick or something - they shouldn't be working with kids.
No insult intended to the brick layers of the world.