All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 19:25 

Coach P -

I can relate in a big way. I coached at the rec levels for 6 years before moving up to competitive. The time constraints for practices, various skill levels, dealing with the coaches and parents who think it's a competitive league, and playing time requirements all add to the challenge. Honestly? Coaching in a rec league can be more challenging in some respects than competitive at times.

I used to do the same thing you're doing, focus on the fundamentals, make it fun, and throw in tons of encouragement. I would pick my poison (b/c of limited practice time) with regards to what areas needed more emphasis based on what I was seeing in the games.

Kudos to you for volunteering your time to help these girls.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 20:00 

Hey Rob,

You hit the nail on the head with all those issues you mentioned. So many teaching and coaching challenges and SO much drama with the parents. Last year I also coached the travel team and that was a lot of fun, although we had a huge amount of drama over playing time. I don't know why I keep coming back to coach given all the stress. I guess it's cause I really enjoy it and love teaching the game. I'd love to coach a school team one day. Hopefully my schedule will allow it.

Thanks again,
Paul

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 19:47 

I spent a little time trying to teach the pass and fill at two practices. They just don't get it. Sure, I could spend the entire practice going over it, but it's not worth it. Instead, I am having them start in the 5 out positions, and run a give and go. It's simple, they understand it, and it works. This way I can spend most of practice time working on fundamentals. Still, I was frustrated with myself having spent time on stuff they're just not going to absorb right now. I'm learning the hard way...

This gets to my original question--at some point the girls will be mature enough for them to 'get' cutting and filling more quickly. But not right now. I just wonder when then that will be...

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 14:59 
Site Admin

Here is an article we just posted about the open post offense.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/open-post-offense.html