All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 14:08 

Joe, thanks so much for the offer, keeping eye out for your email. I'm glad to learn that there is some proven way of adjusting the 5-out cutters for handling a zone. I didn't want to move to a separate offensive set. As is mentioning on the forum I like the KISS approach.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 14:16 
Site Admin

Check your spam folder. I already sent it.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2010, 18:34 

Joe,

I run an open post motion with 5th-graders also. After the season, we will join an AAU league that plays high school rules, which is fine because they will be playing high school rules in middle school (next year). I love the offense, and my kids run it very well. We pass and cut or pass and screen with three little entry sets.

Could you please share the zone offense adaptation with me? Many thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010, 21:04 

nero722,

Do you mind sharing what your "three little entry sets" are? I am always looking to ways to expand my 5 out cutters with options. Thanks.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010, 22:06 

Sure, Coach Al,

Two of them are super easy: "Down" is simply setting up your corner players (4&5) at the wing, and having them downscreen for the wings (2&3), who then curl to the basket for a pass if their defender follows them or simply pop to the wing for the initial pass to start the cutting series.

Trey is a triple option play that I love and ran in grade school myself. You keep your 2 & 3 on the wings and bring your 4 & 5 up to the elbow. When the point guard brings the ball to midcourt, he does so slightly to one side. This sets up the screen from the 4 at the 3-pt. line (lane line extended)on the right or the 5 on the left. The 1 drives past the screen directly at 2's defender before angling to the basket. He now has these options: 1) drive off the screen all the way to the basket. This is often open b/c there is no help below the FT line; 2) if they switch the screen, the roll is open if the screener seals correctly; and 3) if the wing defender slides over to cut off the dribble, the 2 slips backdoor for an easy layup. I like option 3 the best, and it is almost always open. The opposite wing has to fill the top spot on the drive, and the opposite-side big flattens out to the other wing. Both are responsible for transition defense.

I might have to diagram "Dribble" for you, but it starts in the same 1-4 set as "Trey." I run it left to right as 3-5-4-2 with the point guard up top. He starts to dribble at the right wing (2), who cuts backdoor for option 1. If he doesn't get the pass, he cuts through to the opposite block. 4 then sprints across the foul line to screen for 5, who curls to the basket for option 2. If he doesn't get the pass, he fills the other block. 4 then steps out to the top of the key and receives a reversal pass from 1. On that pass, the 3 sets a down screen for 2 @ the block, and he cuts to the 3-pt. line for either a three-pointer or a shot fake and drive.

Hope that is a bit clearer than mud, but it's the best I can do with words and no pictures. Cheers!

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 15:02 
Site Admin

Here is an article on the open post offense.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/open-post-offense.html