All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2010, 11:05 

I am a know nothing coaching my son's house league 3-4 graders. Is the open post concept boiled down to a level where I can teach a basic or two to these young kids? I was going to use your 3-2 shuffle this year and build on that as the season progressed. What do you think? Thanks as always for your help. You are doing a great job.

Blake

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2010, 11:46 

Open post pass and cut is a good offense for this age group..... pass, cut to the basket and everybody else fill spots. KISS method here, make sure they have FUN. Teach m2m defense also.... that will teach them how to play the game.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2010, 16:06 

Blake, I have had some luck with that offense at that age group.

However, be forewarned -- patience, patience, patience. You'll have one or two kids pick in up quickly. One or two will eventually get it. And one or two will never get it and would rather pick their nose.

One thing that might help is to give each kid a number 1-5. Start by having one number cut to the basket. So, for example, 1 brings up the ball. If you tell them 2 (say he is on the wing), then he cuts from the wing to the basket -- maybe you get a quick layup. Then hope your 4 comes up to replace 2 -- and gets open for a pass. Good luck.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2010, 08:55 

Blake

Be sure that yo are alone before you read this coaching heresy.

In coaching 3-4 graders, i believe your self described "know nothing" is a blessing, not a curse. You do not have to be Larry Brown (or even James Brown) to coach 3 and 4th graders. You are better off being a father whose desire if for the kids to have fun.

Being technical, restricting their experimentation and trying to hold them to an unrealistic standard that comes with a structure that they don't have a background to understand is a recipe for the kids giving up basketball over the next few years (did you know that 86% of kids playing youth sports no longer play after they turn 13? The biggest reason is coaches and parents having unrealistic expectations and killing their enthusiasm).

You are fighting child development at this age. Their attention span and retention skills have yet to be developed to a level to where they can effectively execute what you wish them to do. The concepts of space and time are largely undeveloped as well. These are the things necessary to execute the technical aspects of structured offenses. Too many coaches of kids this age ask kids to do things they are not able to, lose patience with the kids when they can't do it and take credit for coaching when they accidently succeed. The kids should be allowed to develop a wider range of perceptions that will allow them to succeed later in their lives.

That means a lot of error and, as Golfman says, "patience, patience, patience," on your part.

Use the advantage of being a "know nothing," not clouded by what I call the "Bobby Knight Syndrome" (the desire to be the best coach in the world and show kids everything you know), and coach young children based on your instincts and experience as a good father doing what is best for his kids. Share the ball, include everyone, praise successes. Use your life experience to guide them on the court. You don't have to teach them a perfect pick and roll, you don't have to push up on ball screens or pin the corners for your kids to learn. Act on common sense and what you think your kids can do. You will see opening and opportunities and then you can put your kids in a position to take advantage of them.

Basketball is not rocket science, though we make it seem so. Sometimes it is just common sense fun.

By the way, if you are a "know nothing," why are you screwing around with a shuffle. Do you know it well enough to make the adjustments that are necessary to mold it to your players. Will you be able to make game adjustments. You should teach what you know. If you are a "no nothing" teach them to have fun. They will teach you basketball.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010, 19:12 

Gents,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I am looking forward to having a good time with the boys this season. This is my third year coaching my boy and nothing beats that! I ended up ordering the Open Post DVD hoping it will help me teach them some spacing and movement, all of which seem impossible sometimes with "swarm ball". Thanks again, Blake

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010, 19:16 

Patience is a virtue here ... there is so much for them to learn and they aren't going to get it all now... that takes several years....... and above all, make sure they have fun.

Use the KISS method.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010, 19:21 

It doen't seem like you are a "know nothing" coach to me.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010, 19:40 

OK, I know a "little something":) A lot of pick up basketball as a kid, now trying to figure out how to translate my basic pick up ball knowledge into words for 3-4 grade. My keen insider knowledge is exemplified best like this: I spend my time outs slapping everyone on the back and wondering what in the world the other coach could possibly be drawing up on a whiteboard for 9 year-olds. I stole all my chops from Breakthrough Basketball. It is a ball though. I hope my boy plays for a while. As long as he plays, I will coach. God Bless, Blake